To those who have ordained or plan to ordain

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
fearandloving

Re: To those who have ordained or plan to ordain

Post by fearandloving »

What is currently holding you back from ordaining?
How long have you been practicing Buddhism?
How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)?
Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?
When do you hope to ordain?

1. - Debt, family, pets, and a lack of complete conviction.
2. - Four years
3. - 25
4. - Wat Metta would be first inclination, however, with a new monastery being built in Virginia in the Thai Forest Tradition, that would probably be higher up on my list, because the climate/mountains I feel would serve me better than the desert.
5. - Lately I've felt "ASAP!", but I suppose there is still a part of me that is not 100% settled in with the Forest Tradition, or maybe it's something else? Within five years though is my idea.
wouter_doorn

Post by wouter_doorn »

- Parents, girlfriend, the idea that the "resistance" I would have to face in order to ordain might make live more difficult while I can achieve good results as a lay practitioner without such resistance (just more slowly... maybe good for my khanti-parami...)

- 7 years of true dedicated meditation practice and retreats

Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?

- Wat Chong Kham, Thailand, my meditation teacher is abbot there

- I ordain every meditation retreat, for 4-8 weeks... Maybe sometime in the future I will have the possibility ordain for the full rains retreat every year :)... Or if my situation changes drastically I will become monk for this life-time
- by the way, the thing that (in my opinion) you can do when ordained that you can't do if lay is getting sila-parami and as may teacher says "many stop desire" :D. This definately aides my concentration meditation!
Unrul3r

Post by Unrul3r »

sekha silapada wrote: To those who hope to or are planning to ordain:
1. What is currently holding you back from ordaining?
2. How long have you been practicing Buddhism?
3. How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)?
4. Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?
5. When do you hope to ordain?
1. Nothing, I'm waiting and preparing to ordain.
2. Over 3 years.
3. 26
4. & 5.
Where & When? If everything goes according to planned, I'm will be going to Amaravati Monastery for one month in April. From then onwards, we will see how it goes.
Why? Closest to me and it's better prepared for ordination of new monks in comparison with the newly founded monastery here in Portugal.

With metta!
befriend

Post by befriend »

To those who hope to or are planning to ordain:
What is currently holding you back from ordaining? i want to incline my mind more towards renunciation of pleasures
How long have you been practicing Buddhism? 6 years
How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)? 27
Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there? bhavana society or abhayagiri because they are in the states
When do you hope to ordain? hopefully next year january first im going to practice the 8 precepts for one year to see how i handle somewhat of a
monastic lifestyle
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

...I feel would serve me better than the desert.
While California does have deserts (Death Valley for one), Wat Metta is located in an avocado orchard in semi-rural Southern Cal...
fearandloving

Post by fearandloving »

While California does have deserts (Death Valley for one), Wat Metta is located in an avocado orchard in semi-rural Southern Cal...
Yes, and it's wonderful there! I visited this last april, and do think I would enjoy it there. I did have an inkling of a thought that I would ordain there one day... I do however feel much more at home and content in deep woods with tall trees, bears, foxes, and deer, snow, etc. I encountered three rattlesnakes at Wat Metta, :o I felt a little out of my element. But... Maybe going out of my element would serve me better than staying where I'm comfortable? I also know that my family would be much happier if I was only 2 hours away, and they could visit, instead of across the country.
sekha silapada

Post by sekha silapada »

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Monasticism has been on my mind since I was 16 (I'm 24 now). I remember a few years (~4) ago at the Bhavana society I was talking to Ayya Sudhamma about when to ordain, and she told me something which was seemed very obvious and straight-forward at the time, but only now a few years later fully grasped the truth of what she was saying. She said it is often best to ordain as soon as possible, because as time goes on life gets in the way- you need to pay off student debt, you have the desire to use the degree you spent 4 years working on, you find a spouse, you have children, etc etc. At the time I thought "well, with me it'll be different! I just want to see what college is like/gain the experience college gives, plus I need time to figure out how to face my family about my desire to ordain. After college I'll just spend 2-3 years working, and hopefully by then I'll have the courage to ordain in the face of overall family disapproval. Then I'll ordain."

Obviously, Ven. Sudhamma was right, life got in the way. Over time I became more entrenched in maya, to the point where today it is less feasible in most regards to ordain than it was when I was 19/20. However, I'm in a position where I have few responsibilities to take care of (primarily student debt), so I hope that within a few years I'll have everything paid off and will then ordain. Right now I get to use this time to prepare, for example by developing the paramitas and working to destroy my mental hindrances.

As for where I'd like to eventually ordain, probably Aranya Bodhi, as I feel the teachers there are quite insightful. If I have the funds/ability Dhammasara monastery in Australia is also a place I'm interested in ordaining at.

Decided it would only be fair to discuss my reasons for writing after you all took the time to respond! :namaste:
alan...

Post by alan... »

Kaktus wrote:

42 (wouldn´t it be easy if this would be the answer to all questions? :smile: )
"42" is the answer to all questions isn't it?
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Debt. But I expect to be debt-free by mid 2013.

Since the age of 22.

One/Any of the Ajahn Chah Monasteries. Been to Wat Pah Nanachat once, Dhammapala, Ratanagiri several times. I feel at home.

Better: when do I hope to become resident at a monastery. This year :) . When I will be suitable for ordination is up to others to decide then.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
nicholas17

Post by nicholas17 »

I am not planning, I am just thinking deeply about it. But I really Hope this possibility to be ordained.

Currently, It is the lack of experience, some little doubts, but nothing so serious. And I have no money to plan an ordination ( travel etc.). Also, I have an Intermediate level in english, I want have a Good english spoken before any future ordination. Ps: I'm French.

Around 1-2 years ago ... but I meditate less often than I'd like.

I am 17.

I would like to be ordained in a Thai forest meditation center somewhere in Thailand. But I am not yet Sure about it. Maybe I'll change of ideas. I like the buddhist community in Thailand.

I don't know yet. But as soon as possible I guess is the best option.

That's it !
Peace everybody :buddha1:
Biija

Post by Biija »

Nothing. But before the decision I thought a lot about my parents and my pets.

Seriously, about 3 years.

I sent a letter to Wat Pah Nanachat. I intend to ordain there, because it is more appropriate for westerners. I chose Thailand because I want to have the experience of living in a Buddhist country (the lay community is very active there) to learn as much as I can, because in the future I intend to come back to my motherland with good knowledge to share with the Brazilian Theravada Community which is very small. Well, I'm pretty happy with the decision and I hope I can make a good use of the monastic life not only for me, but for the benefit of others.

It will depend on me. I hope asap, but only time will tell. If everything goes well I will travel in November.

May all beings be released from their suffering. :hug:

_/\_
kmath

Post by kmath »

I ended up disrobing but:

How old were you when you ordained?

Did anything besides escaping Samsara motivate you to become a bhikkhu(ni)?
Just wanted to be a more peaceful person, wasn't thinking about Nibbana. :meditate:

How long have you been ordained/how many rains how you done?
I did 2 before leaving.

In what ways do you feel your practice has benefited as a monastic compared to when you were a layperson?
More solitude = quieter mind :candle:

Conversely, are there aspects about monasticism that you find detrimental to your practice?
The monotonous routine wore me out emotionally. So I couldn't put the same enthusiasm into my practice. :toilet:
Still Searching

Post by Still Searching »

What is currently holding you back from ordaining? Travel money, debt, I also need more practice.
How long have you been practicing Buddhism? 3 years.
How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)? 26.
Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there? Thailand. It's warm and their practice some good.
When do you hope to ordain? Before I'm 30.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
konchokzopa

Post by konchokzopa »

sekha silapada wrote:Out of curiosity, I have some questions that I hope you may take the time to answer :namaste:

money, need to gather and save some money.

around 2 years of practice.

21 years old

yes, i am considering ordaining in Pa Auk Monastery, if it is possible. i would like to ordain there because i feel the strongest connection to there out of all the forest monastery traditions. and i also like the idea of devoting to the path of purification or visshuddimagga.

i hope to go the Pa Auk Monastery before next summer and we'll see how it goes from there.
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

- Debt pending mortgage of a house in an European country sinked in the financial crisis).
- My mother is in Europe, and she is too old to travel to Thailand. Besides visiting her, she may need care in the future.
- Body weakness. I'm not able to sit on the floor (in any posture) for more than 30 minutes without resting my back.
- Thai spicy food. ;)
- 15 years
In the forest. But although I’ve been leaving 4 years in Thailand, I still haven’t certainly decided it.
Before I die
Last edited by suriyopama on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.