Middle ground.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Demarous

Middle ground.

Post by Demarous »

I'm not that clued up on this, hence asking.
Is it possible for a lay follower to support both Theravada and Mahayana?
Would it be frowned upon by either of the traditions?

Metta,
Demarous.
"Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart. Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart."
Demarous

Re: Middle ground.

Post by Demarous »

By support, i mean to financially support and promote the awareness of!

Metta,
Demarous.
"Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart. Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Sure...admirable in fact...and no, I wouldn't think it would be frowned upon by either group...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
appicchato wrote:Sure...admirable in fact...and no, I wouldn't think it would be frowned upon by either group...
That would be my thoughts too, bhante. King Asoka would agree too!

Link: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el386.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, honors both ascetics and the householders of all religions, and he honors them with gifts and honors of various kinds. But Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values this — that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. Growth in essentials can be done in different ways, but all of them have as their root restraint in speech, that is, not praising one's own religion, or condemning the religion of others without good cause. And if there is cause for criticism, it should be done in a mild way. But it is better to honor other religions for this reason. By so doing, one's own religion benefits, and so do other religions, while doing otherwise harms one's own religion and the religions of others. Whoever praises his own religion, due to excessive devotion, and condemns others with the thought "Let me glorify my own religion," only harms his own religion. Therefore contact (between religions) is good. One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others. Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, desires that all should be well-learned in the good doctrines of other religions.

Those who are content with their own religion should be told this: Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. And to this end many are working — Dhamma Mahamatras, Mahamatras in charge of the women's quarters, officers in charge of outlying areas, and other such officers. And the fruit of this is that one's own religion grows and the Dhamma is illuminated also.
Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

When I first read the OP I thought you meant following both, which may not be so bad either if you are starting out and have not chosen a specific tradition yet. But giving financial support; that is dana, generosity, one of the Paramitas and an excellent practice.

Sadhu!

Theravada, Mahayana, it's all Buddhism. :group:
Demarous

Post by Demarous »

To be honest, until i was sue of what "nonattachment" :bow: meant, i was not sure whether i was definately of the Theravada way, but i am now sure!

Thats good to know, i am hoping to make people more aware of buddhism, in all of its traditions / schools, using Facebook.

I was thinking of using a new name to catch attention to particularly the younger or what you'd call the Modern generations, which would be not attached to any particular tradition, give people the access to the backgrounds and information on the various schools / traditions that they want to find out more about, ( I will link Dhamma and Dharma wheel forums of course) and then they can decide which path is for them, if they choose to look any further.

I have found the word 'Svaatanya' which is freedom in Sanskrit, which stands for 'the freedom of choice'.

What does everyone think? :thinking:

Do you think this could cause miss understanding and offence??? :?

Metta,
Demarous.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

I think:
a] I'm sure there are some wholesome motivations at work here but...
b] I know of plenty of such resources on the web already and...
c] if one is not knowledgeable in the various traditions, then I think it is not wise to try to promote said traditions; one will inevitably promote incorrect information.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Demarous

Post by Demarous »

My aim would not to promote the different schools as such,as i definitely do not know nearly enough about any school to do that, just to grab some more attention towards buddhism in general then let people decide what way, school they want to follow by giving them links, like to this and Dharma wheel so they can see where they fit.

Buddhism has changed my life completely since i have found it, if i can improve someone else's life by grabbing the attention of even one more person, i think that would be a real step forward towards the end of suffering.

Metta,
Demarous.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Demarous wrote:

Buddhism has changed my life completely since i have found it, if i can improve someone else's life by grabbing the attention of even one more person, i think that would be a real step forward towards the end of suffering.

Metta,
Demarous.

:D :clap:
:anjali:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Demarous wrote:My aim would not to promote the different schools as such,as i definitely do not know nearly enough about any school to do that, just to grab some more attention towards buddhism in general then let people decide what way, school they want to follow by giving them links, like to this and Dharma wheel so they can see where they fit.

Metta,
Demarous.
This is very good!
:anjali:

In answer to your original post, a person I know - A Theravadan, has given support to this organisation called the Liberation Prison Project. A (Mahayana) project which seeks to teach prisoners about the Dha(r)mma, distributes books and teaches meditation. I happen to think this is a good action.

Also, there is this company based in Taiwan, if you've ever spent some time in a Monastery you'll know the people I mean - The Buddha Educational Foundation. They print thousands and thousands of Dhamma texts, both Theravada & Mahayana, and then give them away for free to Monasteries, Schools, Libraries, and personal orders too. I love these people, it brings a tear to my eye when I think about all the goodness these people bring to the world.

To cut a long story short, morality knows no religious borders. Support away, you're got a good motivation and it should be encouraged.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Demarous

Post by Demarous »

Thanks very much, i'm glad you can see my intension is good. :smile:

I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks it would be a bad idea and why??? To get the other view, if anyone feels that way of course,
to which i will take no offense personally.

Well if any of you ever go on facebook, i have just started the group and would appreciate growing numbers!!! :tongue:
it is under Buddhism, Description Svaatanya Buddhism.

Metta,
Demarous