What continues from one life to another?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
cooran

Re: What continues from one life to another?

Post by cooran »

Magoo wrote:Hi all,

Since time began for human existance, the world population of humans has never stopped increasing. Given this, it obviously is true that more people are being born than are dieing. This is one of the few points that create doubt or confusion for me in regard to re-birth (the other is that it is one teaching that cannot be experienced, and thus known...it really has to be believed, in my experience anyway?).

So if a stream of conciousness, via a process passes on to the next life and carries the storage of impressions along with it, there would not be enough streams of consciousness for all the conceptions occuring at any given time? What happens to those that miss out? Are they the enlightened ones? Ie no bad habits inherited?

This question has some seriousness and rhetoric but in the essence has me a little perplexed.

Anyone have any clarity and wisdom they can shed on this?

Thanks
With Metta
Eamonn
Hello Magoo,

One of the things to be aware of is that Rebirth as a human is one of the rarest occurrences of all.

Does Rebirth make sense? – by Bhikkhu Bodhi
http://diydharma.org/rebirth-and-kamma- ... kkhu-bodhi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rebirth – Bhikkhu Bodhi
http://www.beyondthenet.net/dhamma/rebirth.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suttas about Rebirth
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-su ... ml#rebirth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

Thanks to those who responded to my question.

The responses were clear and unifed which has put this little dilema to bed for me. 6 different realms is something I forgot about. Thanks for the reminder.

With Metta
Eamonn
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Perhaps we are stuck in a mechanistic way of imagining this process, and this mechanistic way of thinking also gave rise to such concepts in later Indian Buddhism and Abhidhamma as "stream of consciousness containing seeds" or the "bhavanga". However, there might be a better way to understand it -- and to understand nature and the universe as a whole. In this video R. Sheldrake describes his theory of the morphic fields which contain past memories and shape the physical structure of living organisms:

Rupert Sheldrake: The Presence of the Past (excerpt)

http://youtu.be/KP-PXCLHp4o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
detrop

Post by detrop »

To me, terms like "stream of consciousness" ... "storage of impressions" ... "stream of kamma" ... "dying and being born every single moment" raise much more questions than they possibly answer. Their accessibility in real life is not better than that of the good old permanent Self - both can be assumed all day long, but none of them can be actually found by someone like me.
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

what continues from life to life?
Ignorance and
Craving continues.
alan...

Post by alan... »

detrop wrote:To me, terms like "stream of consciousness" ... "storage of impressions" ... "stream of kamma" ... "dying and being born every single moment" raise much more questions than they possibly answer. Their accessibility in real life is not better than that of the good old permanent Self - both can be assumed all day long, but none of them can be actually found by someone like me.
well according to the dhamma one can master the jhanas and literally see ones past lives. however this is a side track. in reality one does not need to know anything about rebirth at all. one can simply practice the dhamma, see through reality bit by bit and eventually enter nibbana never knowing a thing about rebirth being real or not.
Yana

Post by Yana »

When you sleep,what continues from one dream to another?
Life is preparing for Death
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Yana wrote:When you sleep,what continues from one dream to another?
Nothing shows that one dream is dependent upon the previous.... therefore, nothing has to continue from one dream to the next

may all be well
:anjali:
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Do stay on topic, please.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Please read chapter 29 of attached link "What is reborn"

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Yana

Post by Yana »

Billymac29 wrote:
Yana wrote:When you sleep,what continues from one dream to another?
Nothing shows that one dream is dependent upon the previous.... therefore, nothing has to continue from one dream to the next

may all be well
:anjali:
Hi Billymac29,

Everything depends on what came before it and what we can do now.
This is the conditioned existence.
Nothing exists solely on it's own.
Not even dreams let alone lives.

Only Nibbana is unconditioned.
tiltbillings wrote:Do stay on topic, please.
sorry Tilt i didn't mean to be off topic, this was an analogy. :anjali:

Metta :heart:
Life is preparing for Death
sanblvd

Post by sanblvd »

cooran wrote: One of the things to be aware of is that Rebirth as a human is one of the rarest occurrences of all.

Very interesting, can anyone expand more on this? What is in the Buddhism teaching, or rather Buddhism cosmological view that fits earth? Is reborn on earth as a human rare because there are so many realms that if one end up on earth as human... or end up as any sentient being on any realm is rare simply by the probability itself?

Or that somehow that being a Human on Earth is in someway special by itself because our realm is somewhat special in the whole cosmological order?
dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend »

Hi everyone.
I've just been reading a sutta that deals with this exact question. please check out Ven Thanissaro's version here :http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html.
I ran into this sutta in a book called 'the Raft' compiled by the late Mom Chao Upalisan Jumbala. All dhamma talks I've listened to so far describe consciousness as the 'thing' or process that continues, but the Buddha rebukes the monk who holds this view. I highly recommend giving this a read. Can any monastics weigh in on this?

Thanks
Dhammafriend
Metta
Dhammafriend

Natthi me saranam annam buddho me saranam varam
For me there is no other refuge, the Buddha is my excellent refuge.
Etena saccavajjena vaddheyyam satthu-sasane
By the utterance of this truth, may I grow in the Master’s Way.
alan...

Post by alan... »

sanblvd wrote:
cooran wrote: One of the things to be aware of is that Rebirth as a human is one of the rarest occurrences of all.

Very interesting, can anyone expand more on this? What is in the Buddhism teaching, or rather Buddhism cosmological view that fits earth? Is reborn on earth as a human rare because there are so many realms that if one end up on earth as human... or end up as any sentient being on any realm is rare simply by the probability itself?

Or that somehow that being a Human on Earth is in someway special by itself because our realm is somewhat special in the whole cosmological order?
human birth is rare because most beings do not follow the dhamma at all or well enough so they end up in lower realms after death and are reborn in other lower realms or the same realms for the same reasons or similar reasons at the end of each life until they do good things and are born as humans or higher again.

it is a logical system of checks and balances. no probability or randomness at all. a beings actions and thoughts determine where they go and it is very specific.

to clarify, i said "follow the dhamma" which may not be clear. even someone who has never heard of the dhamma but acts in accord with it anyway (no killing, stealing, etc.) will be reborn in a favorable destination. for example a non buddhist but very kind and generous fire fighter or doctor would probably end up in the deva realms after death. this is not satisfactory though as their time as a deva will run out and then it's back on down to lower realms whereas a serious dhamma practitioner who is kind and generous fire fighter or doctor (these are just examples of jobs that likely generate a ton of good kamma) would likely be reborn in a human body with strong inclination toward the dhamma and a good lot in life that would hopefully get them to stream entry at least or if they mastered certain attainments they would be reborn in the pure abodes and reach nibbana there without ever being reborn again (as i understand it, i could be wrong. compare these ideas with the suttas to be certain!!!).