the place of cognition in satipatthana?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
mikenz66

Re: the place of cognition in satipatthana?

Post by mikenz66 »

purple planet wrote:so you are actually saying by my understanding here that "knowing"/"seeing" is enough and there is no need to think
You can't function without thinking. So you'd better not stop thinking...

But, as I understand it, the Buddha is urging us to know our experience in detail, not just to think about it.

:anjali:
Mike
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

but if i will note that thinking it will go away
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

purple planet wrote:but if i will note that thinking it will go away
Yes, of course that's what tends to happen. So under controlled circumstances, doing meditation exercises, you can discern the arising and cessation of various phenomena.

But if you stop thinking all the time you won't function very well...

Mike
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Hi mike i like your answers - especailly in different more clearer threads :lol:

i try to avoid looking at the internet so this thread is a problem for me - so i will stop comenting on this post i think it just strengthens my OCD by wanting to check it so much

i think i partly understand but not in a full clear way but its good enough for now i hope i will understand better after finishing the pdf
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Purple,

Don't worry, understanding is an on-going process.

:group:
Mike
alan...

Post by alan... »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Alan,
alan... wrote: okay so can you just tell me please? all my readings seem to imply we should just be mindful and note and then drop everything that comes to mind but the satipatthana sutta says to contemplate arising/vanishing/etc., i read a commentary that says it's sequential, first the practitioner contemplates body as body, then once that's solid they contemplate arising/vanishing, then once they get it they can just do bare attention. but a lot of teachers teach to start off with bare attention.
"Just be mindful and note and then drop everything that comes to mind" is a common, and useful, instruction when beginning this sort of practice, and it could well be useful to just follow that advice for some time (months, not hours or minutes...), making sure that you really are observing, in particular, the body and feeling tone of sensations, and not just imagining it. [I'm sure I spent months with the concept of rising and falling of the abdomen and the motion of the feet, not the actual sensations... It's simple, but not easy, and it really helps to have some in-person interaction.]

However, I don't see that the totality of the instructions from any teacher I'm familiar with as being as simplistic as "just be mindful and note then drop everything that comes to mind". I gave an extensive quotation from Bhante Sujiva above about seeing how intentions arise, and there are many discussions in that book about other aspects of satipatthana.
alan... wrote: basically, when are we supposed to consider things about reality and when are we supposed to just drop thoughts for non thinking mindfulness?
I think the communication problem I am having with you and PP is your equating of "knowing" with "thinking". Thinking is about concepts. For example "my leg is hurting". What we are trying to know is the basic sensations that are arising: "itching, heat, pain,...". You start to see that "leg" is a concept that you are concocting from those basic sensations. When you can see this a bit more clearly, you can discern, in the example from Bhante Sujiva, intention arising before each movement. This starts to give you some inkling of the cause-and-effect that the Suttas are talking about. Note that it is not "thinking about intention" it's "knowing intention". And it takes quite a lot of time to develop.

There are many other issues. However, I can't write a post that contains all the information in, for example, Bhante Sujiva's book, or in 10+ hours of retreat talks by Patrick Kearney:
http://www.dharmasalon.net/Audio/audio.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike

okay mike let me just tell you what i do and we'll work backwards:

i do the bare attention thing with breath as my main object. if an emotion comes up i cannot shake or something such as physical pain i note mentally that it's not self and/or see it's causes for arising and how it will vanish, see that this is true by looking inward, and then usually this allows me to let it go.

is this correct in your understanding?
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

alan... wrote:
alan... wrote: okay so can you just tell me please? all my readings seem to imply we should just be mindful and note and then drop everything that comes to mind but the satipatthana sutta says to contemplate arising/vanishing/etc., i read a commentary that says it's sequential, first the practitioner contemplates body as body, then once that's solid they contemplate arising/vanishing, then once they get it they can just do bare attention. but a lot of teachers teach to start off with bare attention.
"Just be mindful and note and then drop everything that comes to mind" is a common, and useful, instruction when beginning this sort of practice, and it could well be useful to just follow that advice for some time (months, not hours or minutes...), making sure that you really are observing, in particular, the body and feeling tone of sensations, and not just imagining it. [I'm sure I spent months with the concept of rising and falling of the abdomen and the motion of the feet, not the actual sensations... It's simple, but not easy, and it really helps to have some in-person interaction.]

However, I don't see that the totality of the instructions from any teacher I'm familiar with as being as simplistic as "just be mindful and note then drop everything that comes to mind". I gave an extensive quotation from Bhante Sujiva above about seeing how intentions arise, and there are many discussions in that book about other aspects of satipatthana.
alan... wrote: basically, when are we supposed to consider things about reality and when are we supposed to just drop thoughts for non thinking mindfulness?
I think the communication problem I am having with you and PP is your equating of "knowing" with "thinking". Thinking is about concepts. For example "my leg is hurting". What we are trying to know is the basic sensations that are arising: "itching, heat, pain,...". You start to see that "leg" is a concept that you are concocting from those basic sensations. When you can see this a bit more clearly, you can discern, in the example from Bhante Sujiva, intention arising before each movement. This starts to give you some inkling of the cause-and-effect that the Suttas are talking about. Note that it is not "thinking about intention" it's "knowing intention". And it takes quite a lot of time to develop.

There are many other issues. However, I can't write a post that contains all the information in, for example, Bhante Sujiva's book, or in 10+ hours of retreat talks by Patrick Kearney:
http://www.dharmasalon.net/Audio/audio.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike

okay mike let me just tell you what i do and we'll work backwards:

i do the bare attention thing with breath as my main object. if an emotion comes up i cannot shake or something such as physical pain i note mentally that it's not self and/or see it's causes for arising and how it will vanish, see that this is true by looking inward, and then usually this allows me to let it go.

Note the emotion... What emotion is coming up?(Name it) What does it feel like? Where is it felt? How does it feel? Is it hot or cool or neither.. Observe it, look at, watch it... You might note your feeling towards it... Do you like it? dislike it? neither like nor dislike??

"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

alan... wrote: okay mike let me just tell you what i do and we'll work backwards:

This is subtley
The basic practice described by Mahasi and others is a little different from that:
http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Mahasi/Pra ... tical.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you imagine something, you must know that you have done so and make a mental note, imagining. If you simply think of something, mentally note, thinking. If you reflect, reflecting. If you intend to do something, intending. When the mind wanders from the object of meditation which is the rising and falling of the abdomen, mentally note, wandering. Should you imagine you are going to a certain place, note going. When you arrive, arriving. When, in your thoughts, you meet a person, note meeting. Should you speak to him or her, speaking. If you imaginarily argue with that person, note arguing. If you envision or imagine a light or colour, be sure to note seeing. A mental vision must be noted on each occurrence of its appearance until it passes away. After its disappearance, continue with Basic Exercise I, by being fully aware of each movement of the rising and falling abdomen. Proceed carefully, without slackening. If you intend to swallow saliva while thus engaged, make a mental note intending. While in the act of swallowing, swallowing. If you spit, spitting. Then return to the exercise of noting rising and falling.
Note :tongue: that the instruction is not to try to "shake off" things that arise, or to "note mentally that it's not self". The instruction is to pay attention to it. If you pay attention to a "secondary object" (the "primary object" in this case is the abdominal motion, the "secondary objects" are whatever else comes up) the eventually it will cease (mental objects will tend to cease quite quickly when you pay attention to them, physical pain may take longer...). Then you go back to the primary object. [This is different from a jhana-oriented practice, where you want to get back to the object as soon as possible.]

Mike
alan...

Post by alan... »

mikenz66 wrote:
alan... wrote: okay mike let me just tell you what i do and we'll work backwards:

This is subtley
The basic practice described by Mahasi and others is a little different from that:
http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Mahasi/Pra ... tical.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you imagine something, you must know that you have done so and make a mental note, imagining. If you simply think of something, mentally note, thinking. If you reflect, reflecting. If you intend to do something, intending. When the mind wanders from the object of meditation which is the rising and falling of the abdomen, mentally note, wandering. Should you imagine you are going to a certain place, note going. When you arrive, arriving. When, in your thoughts, you meet a person, note meeting. Should you speak to him or her, speaking. If you imaginarily argue with that person, note arguing. If you envision or imagine a light or colour, be sure to note seeing. A mental vision must be noted on each occurrence of its appearance until it passes away. After its disappearance, continue with Basic Exercise I, by being fully aware of each movement of the rising and falling abdomen. Proceed carefully, without slackening. If you intend to swallow saliva while thus engaged, make a mental note intending. While in the act of swallowing, swallowing. If you spit, spitting. Then return to the exercise of noting rising and falling.
Note :tongue: that the instruction is not to try to "shake off" things that arise, or to "note mentally that it's not self". The instruction is to pay attention to it. If you pay attention to a "secondary object" (the "primary object" in this case is the abdominal motion, the "secondary objects" are whatever else comes up) the eventually it will cease (mental objects will tend to cease quite quickly when you pay attention to them, physical pain may take longer...). Then you go back to the primary object. [This is different from a jhana-oriented practice, where you want to get back to the object as soon as possible.]

Mike

then what does it mean: "he abides contemplating the body as a body internally. or he abides contemplating the body as a body internally. or he abides contemplating the body as a body both internally and externally. or else he abides contemplating in the body it's nature of arising. or he abides contemplating in the body it's nature of vanishing. or he abides contemplating in the body it's nature of both arising and vanishing. or else mindfulness that "there is a body" is established in him to the extent necessary for bare knowledge and mindfulness."

this is written after every section. shouldn't we be doing this quite literally considering how many times it's mentioned?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Alan,

Certainly we should take that seriously, but there are a lot of options there, so one would need a book chapter to cover them
The short answer is that those are the sorts of things I've been talking about. "He is aware of this, or that, or ....": One notices the the arising and vanishing of phenomena.

For the last part, see this thread: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 07#p219318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
alan...

Post by alan... »

Certainly we should take that seriously, but there are a lot of options there, so one would need a book chapter to cover them
The short answer is that those are the sorts of things I've been talking about. "He is aware of this, or that, or ....": One notices the the arising and vanishing of phenomena.

For the last part, see this thread: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 07#p219318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
i guess i'll sit down with a book then. know any that go in depth?