anatta and cetana and conditions for right view

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Re: anatta and cetana and conditions for right view

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 am

dhamma follower wrote:
porpoise wrote:Passages like this do give the distinct impression of sati as an activity rather than as a result of practice.

Greeting Porpoise,

What is an "activity" in terms of paramatha dhammas?

I'm not sure - do you know?
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Spiny Norman

Re: anatta and cetana and conditions for right view

Postby dhamma follower » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:53 am

porpoise wrote:
dhamma follower wrote:
porpoise wrote:Passages like this do give the distinct impression of sati as an activity rather than as a result of practice.

Greeting Porpoise,

What is an "activity" in terms of paramatha dhammas?

I'm not sure - do you know?

Dear Porpoise,

As far as I understand, "activity" is perceived by memory of momentary arising and falling of cittas, just like story appearing on the movie screen are actually 24 images succeeding each other.

Because of delusion, moha, we believe that there is someone doing some activity. In reality, there are only successions of cittas arising and falling by conditions. Sati is a cetasika which may or may not accompany a particular citta, by conditions, nothing to do with an activity.

When we read a sutta, we might read it with our habitual, deluded understanding, then the path taught by the Buddha is not known. But the Buddha has taught us right view, i.e right understanding about realities. Without that right understanding, we might read Tipitaka maintaining our delusion and "self-view".

Best regards,
D.F
dhamma follower

Previous

Return to Abhidhamma