Karma question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Karma question

Postby tattoogunman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:34 pm

I've just recently begun (I hope) my path in Buddhism. From what I've been able to gather, I *think* Theravada is the right one for me to follow. So, here's the question:

I generally feel like I am good person and try to good things, but it's hit or miss. So I've been trying, over the last week, to work on having positive karmic thoughts. To help me with that, I downloaded a goofy little "karma jar" app for my phone (don't laugh - I generally avoid using my phone and this is probably the only app I have next to a meditation one that I downloaded :tongue: ). When you have a bad thought, you put a black stone in the jar. When you have a good thought, you get a white stone. So here's the actual question - if I catch myself about to have a bad thought or I manage to cut the thought off midstream, would that count as a positive/good thought since that is what I used to override the bad one? Does that make sense or is it just a goofy question?

So for example - I'm married, but I see a cute girl walk by and bad thoughts creep in, but I catch myself and say "no no no, think pure thoughts instead!" and therefore flush out the bad - can I get credit for a white stone? Or am I stuck with the black stone because I started the thought (even though I cut it off). Or I see a cool car or motorcycle and immediately think "that would be cool to have", but as soon as I catch myself with the thought, I make it go away. Make sense?

And I understand that I don't *need* the app mind you, it's just something goofy I thought I would play around with. Clearly I'm capable of catching myself and making the mental corrections as they happen :D
Thanks for humoring me :tongue:
tattoogunman

Re: Karma question

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:01 am

What matters is not what arises in your mind, but how you deal with it; give yourself that white stone!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
LonesomeYogurt

Postby tattoogunman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:34 am

LonesomeYogurt wrote:What matters is not what arises in your mind, but how you deal with it; give yourself that white stone!

Thanks, makes me feel better :twothumbsup:
tattoogunman

Postby KennC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:28 pm

Karma is intentional action, that is, a deed done deliberately through body, speech or mind. The Buddha taught that one’s present condition, whether of happiness or suffering, is the result of the accumulated force of all past actions or karma. Here is a nice short doucmentary on karma -bond to the past and future. http://www.buddhastation.com/buddhism-v ... nd-future/
KennC

Postby Aloka » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:47 pm

I highly recommend this talk from Ajahn Amaro, English abbot of Amaravati Theravada Thai Forest Tradition monastery UK

"Who is pulling the strings?"

http://www.blubrry.com/amaravatitalks1/1536590/who-is-pulling-the-strings-ajahn-amaro-sunday-talk-2012/

with kind wishes

Aloka
Aloka

Return to General Theravāda discussion