watching thoughts pass

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

watching thoughts pass

Postby befriend » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:51 pm

if i watch my thoughts pass, i get some serious nibbida (disenchantment), i have never heard of this as a buddhist meditation, but wondering if it is? thanks, metta befriend
befriend

Re: watching thoughts pass

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi Befriend,

Can you give an example of the thoughts and the feeling you get (a made-up one if you don't want to share you actual thoughts)?

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby befriend » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:25 pm

yeah i dont know about this, i feel spaced out. but it seems there might be something to it, it doesnt matter what thoughts i had i was just watching my thoughts come and go, then i was like this is stupid its the same thing here they are there they go. but i sensed it was wholesome because it led me to a dispassionate state towards my thoughts and feelings. i wouldnt do this without further knowledge on the exercise because like i said i did feel spaced out this morning and after i did it again today. taking a break from that and going back to regular meditation. but will ask someone who knows more about this. metta, befriend
befriend

Postby Mr Man » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:46 am

Befriend,
You may find this link interesting: http://www.tricycle.com/dharma-talk/noticing-space
:anjali:
Mr Man

Postby befriend » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:55 pm

thanks! thats just what i was looking for. awesome. metta, Befriend
befriend

Return to General Theravāda discussion