Employers can fire workers they find too sexy

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

Employers can fire workers they find too sexy

Post by plwk »

The Iowa Supreme Court ruled yesterday that employers in the state can legally fire workers they find too attractive.
In a unanimous decision, the court held that a dentist did not violate the state’s civil rights act when he terminated a female dental assistant whom his wife considered a threat to their marriage.
More here
Cittasanto

Re: Employers can fire workers they find too sexy

Post by Cittasanto »

I am doomed to unemployment in Iowa then :(

but seriously, someone's personal life should not affect another's work life unless there was interference. That is (in my opinion) sexual harassment & bullying by the spouse.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
robertk

Post by robertk »

I can tell you this, my wife doesn't like pretty maids. Life is easier when we have a chubby 40 year doing the cleaning than a pert 20 year old, no matter the efficiency .
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

How "pert"?
robertk

Post by robertk »

why? Are you looking for a maid or a GF?
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

I dont care who you are or whatever natural disadvantages you may possess, a motivated person can always find ways to look less attractive and presentable. Arent there any self help books on the subject?

Maybe videos? ie Buns of Tapioca etc.
Last edited by m0rl0ck on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Just curious, how much gravity must work to overcome collagen, before the perceived loss of "pertness" is deemed acceptable to the beholder.
robertk

Post by robertk »

Sylvester wrote:Just curious, how much gravity must work to overcome collagen, before the perceived loss of "pertness" is deemed acceptable to the beholder.
guess which one my wife would employ.
Attachments
all the same to me
all the same to me
women.PNG (444.66 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

robertk wrote:
Sylvester wrote:Just curious, how much gravity must work to overcome collagen, before the perceived loss of "pertness" is deemed acceptable to the beholder.
guess which one my wife would employ.
I assume your wife is allergic to people who do not know how to dress appropriately for their body size so the one on the left is my option.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I suspect the Mrs might prefer the one on the left for a live-in maid. She probably costs less to feed.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

The Iowa Supreme Court ruled yesterday that employers in the state can legally fire workers they find too attractive.
In a unanimous decision, the court held that a dentist did not violate the state’s civil rights act when he terminated a female dental assistant whom his wife considered a threat to their marriage.
Completely understandable.

He had to do it, if she was a threat to his marriage and she WAS.

I would also fire a male employee, if I felt he was a temptation and my husband had found out and was deeply worried.

If I love my husband and want to save my marriage, of course I would!

And if my employee would drag me to court for that, it would confirm my feeling I made the right decision.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I guess she could've worn a burkha from the start, so it was all clearly her fault for being attractive.

Besides good-looking women deserve all the sh*t that comes their way - after spurning my advances all those times, the gall! :x
_/|\_
poto

Post by poto »

Am I the only one just who had a 90's flashback?

I'm too sexy for my job, too sexy for my job...

Great... now that song is gonna be stuck in my had all day. :tongue:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Dan74 wrote:I guess she could've worn a burkha from the start, so it was all clearly her fault for being attractive.

Besides good-looking women deserve all the sh*t that comes their way - after spurning my advances all those times, the gall! :x
:?:

A Burka is the other extreme. There is a middle path between too sexy- tight and a Burka.

For instance, in our banks, people are required to adapt to a certain dress code, -men wear suits and ties, and women don't wear sexy tight stuff. It's a bank, not a bar.

There is a place and time for everything.

We live in an over-sexualized society, and I often found the stares of men very unpleasant and inappropriate.

I don't expose myself in this way anymore.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Annapurna wrote:
Dan74 wrote:I guess she could've worn a burkha from the start, so it was all clearly her fault for being attractive.

:?:

A Burka is the other extreme. There is a middle path between too sexy- tight and a Burka.

For instance, in our banks, people are required to adapt to a certain dress code, -men wear suits and ties, and women don't wear sexy tight stuff. It's a bank, not a bar.

There is a place and time for everything.

We live in an over-sexualized society, and I often found the stares of men very unpleasant and inappropriate.

I don't expose myself in this way anymore.
Fair enough and I think employers can request an appropriate dress code within reason. I don't think her non-compliance with his request for different clothes was the main reason though. Besides for a dental nurse, a nice outfit would be quite a welcome distraction for most male clients, I suspect.

So had he put it to her "Please wear something a little less revealing and more formal if you wish to continue working here" and she refused, this case may have a leg to stand on. But from the way it's described it was just about his wife's jealousy. Well, is it fair for the woman who is discharging her professional duties well to be fired due to her boss's wife's jealousy? Sounds pretty absurd to me.
_/|\_