drowsiness in meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
seahorse

drowsiness in meditation

Post by seahorse »

The main hindrance which crops up for me time and again is dullness and drowsiness in meditation.

I'm a full time worker in a very intense job, helping people in crisis and managing emergency situations.
Much of my time is spent either at work, traveling to and from work, recovering from work, and getting my preparation done for work. In addition to this I run a household on my own, and support my parents (who live nearby) and my elderly neighbours who are in the late stages of their lives. I carry out voluntary work too. I love all of this and am grateful for the opportunity to serve.

However, it often means that when I come to meditate, within 20 or 30 minutes I'm totally knackered and starting to nod off. It's been like this for years now. I've tried caffeine, which wigs me out. I've tried altering my meditation schedule, but I still seem to be tired all the time. I've tried sleeping more at night and simply getting more rest, but I don't have that luxury of time very often. I'm in my early 30s and am caught in a fast paced environment of technology and heavy adrenal demands.

I guess I need to accept that this is just how life is for me at the moment. My question is, is is really possible to make any genuine progress in meditation when more often than not, it's just 20-30 minutes a day, normally ending in a snooze? I don't feel like I've developed much ability to concentrate the mind in Samadhi.

I've booked a short weekend retreat for in a few weeks time but I just wonder whether any good (in terms of concentration) which comes from that may be lost when I get straight back into my regular life. I could really do with some practical tips if anyone has them.

Whaddya reckon? How do you deal with drowsiness or heavy lifestyle demands as a layperson?

Metta...
Death sweeps away those who spend their lives gathering flowers
- Dhammapada 47

The only true freedom is freedom from the heart's desires;
And the only true happiness this way lies...
- Matt Johnson, The The
Cittasanto

Re: drowsiness in meditation

Post by Cittasanto »

seahorse wrote:The main hindrance which crops up for me time and again is dullness and drowsiness in meditation.

I'm a full time worker in a very intense job, helping people in crisis and managing emergency situations.
Much of my time is spent either at work, traveling to and from work, recovering from work, and getting my preparation done for work. In addition to this I run a household on my own, and support my parents (who live nearby) and my elderly neighbours who are in the late stages of their lives. I carry out voluntary work too. I love all of this and am grateful for the opportunity to serve.

However, it often means that when I come to meditate, within 20 or 30 minutes I'm totally knackered and starting to nod off. It's been like this for years now. I've tried caffeine, which wigs me out. I've tried altering my meditation schedule, but I still seem to be tired all the time. I've tried sleeping more at night and simply getting more rest, but I don't have that luxury of time very often. I'm in my early 30s and am caught in a fast paced environment of technology and heavy adrenal demands.

I guess I need to accept that this is just how life is for me at the moment. My question is, is is really possible to make any genuine progress in meditation when more often than not, it's just 20-30 minutes a day, normally ending in a snooze? I don't feel like I've developed much ability to concentrate the mind in Samadhi.

I've booked a short weekend retreat for in a few weeks time but I just wonder whether any good (in terms of concentration) which comes from that may be lost when I get straight back into my regular life. I could really do with some practical tips if anyone has them.

Whaddya reckon? How do you deal with drowsiness or heavy lifestyle demands as a layperson?

Metta...
so how much time do you actually have to yourself? I mean so you can just laze away, doing nothing being completely non-constructive.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

Fastest response ever! Hello Cittasanto.
After all the jobs and whatnot are done, I'd say between 30 and 45 minutes a day, which I try to spend reading Suttas and meditating. But I keep accidentally wasting the opportunity by crashing!
- Dhammapada 47

- Matt Johnson, The The
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings seahorse

Many here have in the past or currently experience drowsiness in meditation. In my experience, there is no correlation between drowsiness and physical tiredness.
Just a couple of recommendations:-
- Reschedule your activities so that you can free some time for yourself.
- Drop an activity or two before you burn out. Remember the adage "less is more".
- And have a look at this document: The Five Mental Hindrances and Their Conquest - Selected Texts from the Pali Canon and the Commentaries, compiled and translated by Nyanaponika Thera
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

seahorse wrote:Fastest response ever! Hello Cittasanto.
After all the jobs and whatnot are done, I'd say between 30 and 45 minutes a day, which I try to spend reading Suttas and meditating. But I keep accidentally wasting the opportunity by crashing!
Crash!
The only time you are not doing anything you are trying to do something.

I be you are not sleeping enough for your level of activity, try cutting back on the activity.
Your OP screamed to me of over activity, and I would bet you more often than not eat on the run.
For your own well-being in the long run take a step back relax some more and take 10 mins per day to meditate.
meditation doesn't need to be 45 mins or an hour something fit in, but something enjoyed, and most importenly something with allows us to deal with life better at the least.
prioritise yourself first. and make relaxation time.
guess how much time I have to relax and do nothing or meditate!

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
marc108

Post by marc108 »

you could try walking or standing meditation, its unlikely you'll nod off doing that. nodding off after 30 mins of meditation is a good indicator, imo, that you're deeply fatigued. i think if your busy work schedule is interfering with your meditation theres no shame in putting off whatever volunteer work you are able to and having a little more free time, especially if you plan to use it doing skillful things like sitting or studying the Suttas.

if you have health insurance it would be wise for you to go to the doctor. get a checkup and some basic bloodwork. also vitamin D, iron, methylmalonic acid.

you could try taking a multivitamin & 1-2g of fishoil every day as well.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

Thanks chaps, much obliged,

Ben that link is just what I needed.
You're both right, some schedule re-adjustment needs to take place, I'm just not sure how or what will get the chop. There are lots of demands upon my time. Most people I know seem the same - the pace of life in the Western world really seems to be ramping up for many folk in wake of economic anxieties etc.

Cittasanto, a shrewd observation...even when I'm in 'down time' I'm doing something. I suppose my mind is well established in seeking and engaging in endless activity. the monkey is swinging on the branches! Ok, this has been helpful, thanks again.
- Dhammapada 47

- Matt Johnson, The The
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

guess how much time I have to relax and do nothing or meditate![/quote]

Do tell?
- Dhammapada 47

- Matt Johnson, The The
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

Hi Marc, some great suggestions there, thank you.
Had the bloods done....all came back fine thankfully. I'm a vegetarian so can't do the fish supplement thing, but walking meditation is a fantastic idea and I am going to trial that from tomorrow - brilliant! :anjali:
- Dhammapada 47

- Matt Johnson, The The
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

seahorse wrote:guess how much time I have to relax and do nothing or meditate!

Do tell?[/quote]
varies day to day, but I can have anything upto 6 hours. some of which is spent meditating.

John Stuart Mill
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

Do tell?[/quote]
varies day to day, but I can have anything upto 6 hours. some of which is spent meditating.[/quote]

That's cool. I'm happy for you that you have that, it sounds great.
- Dhammapada 47

- Matt Johnson, The The
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

making & spending time for ones own benefit is the most important thing you can do. you should be a friend to yourself first.
don't be your own enemy others will try to fill that gap.

John Stuart Mill
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

I would concur with everyone. Spending all of your time in worldly pursuits will still get you to the same place in the end: dead. Probably even faster actually. You have this great gift of not only having been born in this realm, but born human. Don't waste it by spending all your time on the rat race. Sure, enjoy working and "getting ahead," but bring some balance to your life.

Also, there are many ways to meditate without sitting too, so don't forget them. For example, you could practice mindfulness while you are eating.
Visit leafSpirit for helpful articles on meditation.
manas

Post by manas »

Cittasanto wrote:making & spending time for ones own benefit is the most important thing you can do. you should be a friend to yourself first...
Completely agree with you there, cittasanto.
As time passes, I'm increasingly regarding the dhamma as our number one priority, above all else. Imho, every person who sees the dhamma, preserves the sasana and, in their own modest way helps keep it going (such that it is at this late stage). Giving up other engagements to sincerely practice meditation with the aim of seeing the dhamma truly, is imho the highest welfare work we can do, not just for ourselves but for all of humankind.

So yes we should make time for sitting, if we are busy. Every breath could be our last. I wish it were not so urgent, but I'm starting to realize that, this is how it is.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

:goodpost:
- Dhammapada 47

- Matt Johnson, The The