rat compassion

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
marc108

rat compassion

Post by marc108 »

pretty awesome

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... video.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a simple experiment, researchers at the University of Chicago sought to find out whether a rat would release a fellow rat from an unpleasantly restrictive cage if it could. The answer was yes.

The free rat, occasionally hearing distress calls from its compatriot, learned to open the cage and did so with greater efficiency over time. It would release the other animal even if there wasn’t the pa
yoff of a reunion with it. Astonishingly, if given access to a small hoard of chocolate chips, the free rat would usually save at least one treat for the captive— which is a lot to expect of a rat.

The researchers came to the unavoidable conclusion that what they were seeing was empathy— and apparently selfless behavior driven by that mental state.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Ben

Re: rat compassion

Post by Ben »

I wonder whether its a case of anthropomorphism.
Rats and mice, when they are hungry, won't hesitate to predate on each other.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ben wrote:I wonder whether its a case of anthropomorphism.
Rats and mice, when they are hungry, won't hesitate to predate on each other.
kind regards,

Ben
Humans are also known to cannibalize each other, as well as kill for mere pleasure, I wonder if this is a case of de-animalization.

Edit: wolves are also known to kill merely for the sake of it at times (as in they only need to kill one sheep but will kill many more even though they do not intend to eat all of them).
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Ben

Post by Ben »

polarbuddha101 wrote:I wonder if this is a case of de-animalization.
I am merely the Devil's Advocate.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ben wrote:
polarbuddha101 wrote:I wonder if this is a case of de-animalization.
I am merely the Devil's Advocate.
Point taken. I just felt that the combination of your response and mine would facilitate or encourage a certain amount of contemplation on the perceived (real or not) differences between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom. :yingyang:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Ben

Post by Ben »

No worries, PB!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I post a topic on this subject like to receive your input.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
alan...

Post by alan... »

marc108 wrote:pretty awesome

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... video.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a simple experiment, researchers at the University of Chicago sought to find out whether a rat would release a fellow rat from an unpleasantly restrictive cage if it could. The answer was yes.

The free rat, occasionally hearing distress calls from its compatriot, learned to open the cage and did so with greater efficiency over time. It would release the other animal even if there wasn’t the pa
yoff of a reunion with it. Astonishingly, if given access to a small hoard of chocolate chips, the free rat would usually save at least one treat for the captive— which is a lot to expect of a rat.

The researchers came to the unavoidable conclusion that what they were seeing was empathy— and apparently selfless behavior driven by that mental state.

this is fantastic!

i am often taken aback by how close we are to rats...

i had pet ones for a while, very smart actually! they can learn their names, be litter trained, do tricks, play fetch and are really sweet little animals. of course wild ones are likely to be another story but nonetheless.