Postby Stephen K » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:57 am

What is your favourite Nikāya?
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana
Stephen K

Re: What is your favourite Nikāya?

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:13 am

Greetings Stefan,

I've got an odd feeling we've done this poll before - but maybe it was at E-Sangha, and I'm losing track of time!

Anyway, for me it's, in order...

1. Samyutta
2. Majjhima
3. Anguttara
4. Khuddaka (more dodgy stuff than the Digha but also more precious treasures too)
5. Digha

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby acinteyyo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:17 am

I took the Majjhima but for me it's a little bit like retro said, but with a different order:
1. Majjhima
2. Samyutta
3. Digha
4. Angutarra
5. Khuddaka
best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Api cāhaṃ, āvuso, imasmiṃyeva byāmamatte kaḷevare, sasaññimhi samanake lokañca paññāpemi lokasamudayañca lokanirodhañca lokanirodhagāminiñca paṭipadan. (AN4.45)

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:18 pm

This is the order for me, I don't think I have a favourite, as such, but certainly a preference.
1. Majjhima
2. Samyutta
3. Khuddaka
3. Digha
4. Angutarra

DN & SN are joint third, simply because The Khunddaka has so many great parts, and AN is only last because I havn't read it all so not fair to compare its contents to the rest properly, until I have, although I do enjoy many of the suttas within it.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Kare » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 pm

I feel this question is a little like asking: Which one of your two feet is best for walking? :)
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby bodom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Its impossible for me to pick a favorite. Each Nikaya has something of its own to offer.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:33 pm

No fair? Only one vote (mine) so far for Anguttara Nikaya?! :computerproblem:

Some of you may not have had access to the whole translation yet! :reading: When you do, you will see:

Anguttara Nikaya rules!! :tongue:

Just kidding, they are all good, but if I had to choose I would go with:

1. Anguttara Nikaya
2. Samyutta Nikaya
3. Majjhima Nikaya
4. Digha Nikaya
5. Khuddaka Nikaya

Since they are all good, perhaps another way to word it might be: "If you were stranded on a desert island, but could only have one Nikaya with you to read and study, which one would it be?"
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby IanAnd » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:50 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:No fair? Only one vote (mine) so far for Anguttara Nikaya?! :computerproblem:

Some of you may not have had access to the whole translation yet! :reading: When you do, you will see:

Anguttara Nikaya rules!! :tongue:

Agreed. Although I do not yet have a translation of the full Anguttara Nikaya. Still waiting for Bhikkhu Bodhi to finish with his translation. I'm with you, though, I appreciate the two older volumes, the Anguttara and the Samyutta Nikayas.

David N. Snyder wrote:...they are all good, but if I had to choose I would go with:

1. Anguttara Nikaya
2. Samyutta Nikaya
3. Majjhima Nikaya
4. Digha Nikaya
5. Khuddaka Nikaya

Choosing an order is really unfair, because there are important discourses in each volume.

This is how I would rate them. Although as I say it is an unfair rating as each has information necessary for knowledge and understanding of the Dhamma.
1. Anguttara, Samyutta, and Majjhima Nikayas
2. Digha and Khuddaka Nikayas
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
IanAnd

Postby catmoon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:53 pm

What's a nikaya?
catmoon

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:39 pm

catmoon wrote:What's a nikaya?

Nikaya means collection, group or sect, depending on what it is referring to, the Theravada tradition has many nikaya sects in each country, but generally when Nikaya is used it is referring to the collection of discourses (suttas) as you can see above in the posts.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Dan74 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:41 pm

catmoon wrote:What's a nikaya?

:ban:

Only kidding! Nikayas are collections of Pali suttas.

_/|\_
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby catmoon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:39 am

Rats. I was kinda hoping a nikaya was something edible.
catmoon

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm

catmoon wrote:Rats. I was kinda hoping a nikaya was something edible.

slap
Cittasanto

Postby whynotme » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:51 am

David N. Snyder wrote:Since they are all good, perhaps another way to word it might be: "If you were stranded on a desert island, but could only have one Nikaya with you to read and study, which one would it be?"

I will public a new one, just put it all in one book and name it total nikaya and then bring it with me, lol

Regards
Please stop following me
whynotme

Postby plwk » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 am

Looks like the OP forgot Maha Nikaya, Dhamma Nikaya, Siyam Nikaya... :tongue:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

What's your favorite nikaya and why ?

Postby Nikaya35 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:45 pm

I got all the wisdom excellent nikayas translations . My favorite nikaya is the majjhima nikaya . The content and the length of the sutras is perfect in my opinion . The most balanced book to study the dharma . I will write my favorite nikayas in order and the rating. 1. The majjhima nikaya ( 5 stars ) 2 . The Anguttara nikaya ( 5 stars ) I like this nikaya very much too . Definitely the best nikaya for nonmonastic people . 3 . The samyutta nikaya ( 5 stars ) this nikaya have all the core teachings discussed in detail . Very important . 4 . Digha nikaya ( 3 stars ) . This nikaya is meh to me . I don't like it very much . The sutras are too long and are not very interesting in my opinion .
Last edited by Nikaya35 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nikaya35

Re: What's your favorite nikaya and why ?

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:10 pm

I agree that the Majjhima is by far the most balanced Nikaya in terms of length and content, but I have a soft spot for the Samyutta myself. The Anguttara's structure has always been hard for me to get a handle on, but I've found some great stuff in it. Otherwise, I'm not a huge fan of the Digha either; it seems to be the most proselytizing or otherwise "missionary-style" of all the Nikayas.

Of course, as the old Zen story goes, there is no Nikaya that is not the best :smile:
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
LonesomeYogurt

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:56 pm

maitreya31 wrote:
The Anguttara nikaya ( 5 stars ) I like this nikaya very much too . Definitely the best nikaya for nonmonastic people .

:thumbsup:

I merged your topic with the already existing one. Be sure to vote in the poll here too. What is your opinion/rating of the Khuddaka Nikaya?
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Nikaya35 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:38 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
maitreya31 wrote:
The Anguttara nikaya ( 5 stars ) I like this nikaya very much too . Definitely the best nikaya for nonmonastic people .

I merged your topic with the already existing one. Be sure to vote in the poll here too. What is your opinion/rating of the Khuddaka Nikaya?

I never read this nikaya . It's very good ? Where I can buy the book ?
Nikaya35

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:18 pm

maitreya31 wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
maitreya31 wrote:

I never read this nikaya . It's very good ? Where I can buy the book ?

It has up to 18 Books more than being one collection like the other Nikaya. It includes the Thera/Therigatha, Jataka, Sutta Nipata, Itivutaka, Udana and Dhammapada to name a few.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/index.html
Cittasanto

Next

Return to General Theravāda discussion