"She wanted to LIVE" R.I.P. "Braveheart"

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Re: "She wanted to LIVE" R.I.P. "Braveheart"

Post by Ben »

I had signed it some days ago via causes on facebook.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Signed. Sabbe satta sabba dukkha!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Yana

Post by Yana »

Thank you Ben & Khalil :hug:

Dear Annapurna, :heart:

Thank you for keeping us up to date with the News!.I managed to get my Facebook friends to sign the petition too. :hug:

Dear Friends,

Would you also sign the petition like Ben did.Either through Facebook or the link given above. Please do it for her,for me,for Annapurna,for all the women you love and care for in your life.Please,my kind and generous Dhamma family I :heart: you all very much . :candle:

Remember,If You Don't Stand For Something,You'll Fall For Anything!
Life is preparing for Death
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I shared the link on facebook.

I had received posts from friends in India, prior to this, all shocked and crushed and asking to sign. Male and female.

I am VRERY happy to see so much resonance, thank you all for spreading.

According to the last link, she was planning her wedding in February.

Gang rape seems to be a pastime in India, called "Eve-teasing", and recently a 17 year old girl was gangraped and committed suicide after police told her she should try and reach a settlement with the rapists herself!

This is outrageous and needs to be openly discredited, so people can force changes!

No wonder gang rape is a pasttime for some fools there, if it hardly ever has any painful consequences!
corrine

Post by corrine »

Signed it. My heart breaks for women all over the globe who are victimized and so few care.

marie
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Signed the petition.

The world needs to grow up and get over this gender discrimination. I believe I read once that women are outpacing men in all degree types now, except perhaps the M.D. degree. Many women are the primary bread-winners in many households. Violence toward any woman, just because they are a woman is always unjustified and should not be tolerated and as long as there continues to be discrimination, there will be some to justify their acts as if they are somehow sub-human or property.
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Signed.

:candle:
for that brave young woman.

and
:candle: :candle: :candle: ...
for all other women and men who have gone through similar violence of immoral people in that region and around the world.
Pax

Post by Pax »

Signed.

That poor young woman. :heart:
Yana

Post by Yana »

Just a little update: the men who gang raped that poor woman on a bus in New Delhi have been charged! http://bostonglobe.com/2013/01/03/men-c ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am so happy!Am so furious you know,hit a straight ten on the Richter Scale when i heard about it.Their even thinking of handing down the death penalty.and i know it's wrong to want other beings to suffer but,grr..this one's getting no symphaty from me.Can you believe even their appointed lawyers will not defend them given their henious crime.To be honest I think the death penalty 's too easy for them.they should be tortured.just kidding.not really.

rapists are the lowest scum in my book.Literally i have more respect for murderers and terrorists in guantamo bay.
Life is preparing for Death
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Yana wrote:Just a little update: the men who gang raped that poor woman on a bus in New Delhi have been charged! http://bostonglobe.com/2013/01/03/men-c ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am so happy!Am so furious you know,hit a straight ten on the Richter Scale when i heard about it.Their even thinking of handing down the death penalty.and i know it's wrong to want other beings to suffer but,grr..this one's getting no symphaty from me.Can you believe even their appointed lawyers will not defend them given their henious crime.To be honest I think the death penalty 's too easy for them.they should be tortured.just kidding.not really.

rapists are the lowest scum in my book.Literally i have more respect for murderers and terrorists in guantamo bay.
Thanks for the update, Yana.
Here is a recent news about the sixth accused: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 878262.cms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Perhaps this is worth considering - a difficult subject for practice at this time:

The Elimination of Anger
With two stories retold from the Buddhist texts by Ven. K. Piyatissa Thera
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... bl068.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Yana wrote:Just a little update: the men who gang raped that poor woman on a bus in New Delhi have been charged! http://bostonglobe.com/2013/01/03/men-c ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very good. I read with satisfaction that more female police officers will be taking care of victims now, since all male officers seem to come up is telling victims to find a private settlement with their attackers. LMAO...how ridicilous is that???

Would they tell a robbed man to find a private settlement with the robbers, too? Hahahahahaha.....pathetic.

I really enjoyed reading this:
In a sign attitudes might be changing, and that even powerful men are being held accountable, police in the northeastern state of Assam arrested a leader of the ruling Congress party Thursday on accusations he raped a woman in a village in the early hours of the morning.

Footage on Indian television showed the extraordinary scene of local women surrounding the man, ripping off his shirt and repeatedly slapping him across the face.

Police said the man, Bikram Singh Brahma, was visiting the village of Santipur on the Bhutan border when he entered a woman’s house and raped her at 2 a.m. Amid the screams, villagers ran to the home and captured the man, said G.P. Singh, a senior police officer in the area.
I find this sentence worthy some more of our attention:
The attack caused outrage across India, where women are routinely subject to everything from catcalls to assaults. Many say they fear being outside at night.
Seriously, I too am afraid.

Know the nature of the beast....that's all I say.

If you know, that some men are willing and able to rape, and that they don't only live in big cities, then you better know the deal.

After the horse ran away it's too late to lock the stable, caution is the mother of the procellain box.

You don't want an elefant trampling around in your temple, would you?

So make sure he can't get in.

I escaped 2 attempted rapes, each time I was in mortal fear, each time I was saved by incredibly fortunate circumstances, but the unspeakable shock I went though has marked me.

I've become even more cautious since.

The Buddha said: "What do you expect?"

Expect the nature of man and better be cautious.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Annapurna wrote:
and better be cautious.
Unfortunately I think that is all we can do. The nature of trust and what it really means is difficult. The total horror of so much that is happaning is beyond comprehension. Malevolence is most definitely real.
:candle:
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Verse 131 from the Dhammapada:

"He who, desirous of happiness for himself, torments with a rod others who are likewise seeking enjoyment, shall not obtain happiness in the hereafter."
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Annapurna wrote:Expect the nature of man and better be cautious.
Not all men are rapists.