Disregarding the Suttas is the height of arrogance.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
hermitwin

Re: Disregarding the Suttas is the height of arrogance.

Post by hermitwin »

i agree with alan totally.
but, buddha said, ' there are few with little dust in their eyes'.
i have come across many who do not think that the suttas are important.
they cherry-pick what they like about buddhism.
but that is human nature, what can you do?
i have come to accept that many people are not too keen to
know what buddha really taught.
i have compassion for these people.
ground

Post by ground »

alan wrote:Friends,
Buddhism would not exist without the Suttas. ...
But maybe the dhamma would. :sage:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

ground wrote:
But maybe the dhamma would.
How?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
ground

Post by ground »

tiltbillings wrote:
ground wrote:
But maybe the dhamma would.
How?
Do you affirm that it would exist or negate that it would exist? (Please note the "maybe") :sage:
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

mikenz66 wrote:
Bakmoon wrote:
Bakmoon wrote: When we do, we should make sure what they say doesn't contradict the suttas, but we can't ask for them to prove from the suttas every last detail of their advice because the suttas don't always give that level of detail. As long as nothing contradicts, you should be okay.
Sure, but I'd be careful about too much looking for contradictions until you've actually practised with a teacher for a while. In my experience, understanding what the suttas is built on practice, rather than the other way around.

:anjali:
Mike
I agree. It can be very easy to misunderstand what a teacher is saying if you don't actually try it out, and even if something seems to contradict, you should try to see if there is a way to resolve such a contradiction instead of just rejecting what that teacher is saying.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

This OP is a bit unusual to me. I haven't found anyone on here that has "disregarded the suttas"...
what a strange thing to say...

may all be well ;)
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

ground wrote: Do you affirm that it would exist or negate that it would exist? (Please note the "maybe")
As usual, word games.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
ground

Post by ground »

tiltbillings wrote:
ground wrote: Do you affirm that it would exist or negate that it would exist? (Please note the "maybe")
As usual, word games.
I would call it a suggestion rather than word game. It is just that an assertion of the kind "it is [this or that]" is missing and it is left to the reader. :sage:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

ground wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
As usual, word games.
I would call it a suggestion rather than word game. It is just that an assertion of the kind "it is [this or that]" is missing and it is left to the reader. :sage:
In other words: word games.

ground

Post by ground »

tiltbillings wrote:
ground wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:As usual, word games.
In other words: word games.
You may call the suggestion as you like. :sage:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

ground wrote: You may call the suggestion as you like.
A word game.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Bakmoon wrote: When we do, we should make sure what they say doesn't contradict the suttas, but we can't ask for them to prove from the suttas every last detail of their advice because the suttas don't always give that level of detail. As long as nothing contradicts, you should be okay.
Yes, there is quite a lot of room for interpretation in terms of the detail. And as they say "the devil is in the detail". ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!