Australia

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Re: Australia

Post by Ben »

daverupa wrote:
Raitanator wrote:This or that, it's still a bowl.
It's quite noteworthy, to notice how sense contact sparks papanca-sanna-sankha, isn't it?

:heart:
Indeed!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

The fish is jumping from the small vehicle (hinayana) into the big vehicle (mahayana).

Only kidding. In reality the fish will hang in midair.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanavuddho wrote:The fish is jumping from the small vehicle (hinayana) into the big vehicle (mahayana).

Do not use that term on DhammaWheel.

No Hinayana in Buddhism
By Chan Khoon San & Kåre A. Lie
http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/NoHinayana.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with karuna,
Chrs
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

My joke telling skills must be getting rusty. :thinking:

Oh, well...
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Thanavuddho wrote:They put a notice up on the website about me:

http://bodhisaddha.wix.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems a bit silly. At least it makes the matter clear.
I don't know... reminds me of a "Wanted" poster... :-/

Be well, Bhante.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Raitanator

Post by Raitanator »

cooran wrote: Do not use that term on DhammaWheel.
What would be a better term? Nyushul Khen Rinpoche was also firm that Hinayana is a pejorative term and better term would be Root-yana. What do you think?
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Raitanator wrote:
What would be a better term?
Theravada
Raitanator

Post by Raitanator »

Mr Man wrote:
Raitanator wrote:
What would be a better term?
Theravada
In tibetan buddhism there's also practices same to Theravadin, and categorized in the same way, but to call it Theravada would be misleading, don't you think?
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Raitanator wrote:In tibetan buddhism there's also practices same to Theravadin, and categorized in the same way, but to call it Theravada would be misleading, don't you think?
All schools of Buddhism have many beliefs and practices in common but the schools are nevertheless distinct and are worth calling by their proper names.
And in general, it is polite to call people by the name they prefer. Cooran is 'Cooran' or 'Chris'. You are 'Raitanator'. I am 'Kim'. Easy, simple, polite.
Theravada is 'Theravada'. Vajrayana is 'Vajrayana'. Easy, simple, polite. Anything else carries baggage that may be unwanted.

:namaste:
Kim

Now ... :focus:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Please return to topic.
Off-topic posts are routinely removed from view without warning and repeat offenders are subject to disciplinary action, as per our Terms of Service.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Thanavuddho wrote:The fish is jumping from the small vehicle (hinayana) into the big vehicle (mahayana).

Upon first reading of your post, Bhante, I got a good laugh. Actually a pretty good joke to accompany the photo.

My sense is that you've got a good, sharp, and nuanced mind...a bit like Ajahn Chah, who I read could be quite sharp and funny. I hope you stay in robes for many vassa, and find a longterm home in Australia.

We should be able to use the perjorative 'hinayana' without everyone getting too bent out of shape. It's not like crying "shark" while ocean swimming....nothing to fear... ;)

There was a hinayana...they're gone now for many centuries. People that intentionally use 'hinayana' for 'Theravada' are confused and silly.
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

:goodpost:

:anjali:

Good luck, Bhante.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BuddhaSoup wrote:

There was a hinayana...they're gone now for many centuries. People that intentionally use 'hinayana' for 'Theravada' are confused and silly.
No school of Buddhism called itself hinayana -- the discarded/garbage -- vehicle. Hinayana is at its root an ugly term of derision coined by the Mahayana. The term has its place within the Mahayana, but it is not an appropriate term for describing schools of Buddhism outside the Mahayana.

As Reginald Ray states in his Indestructible Truth:
  • In fact, as we shall see presently, "Hinayana" refers to a critical but strictly limited set of views, practices, and results. The pre-Mahayana historical traditions such as the Theravada are far richer, more complex, and more profound than the definition of "Hinayana" would allow. ...The tern "Hinayana" is thus a stereotype that is useful in talking about a particular stage on the Tibetan Buddhist path, but it is really not appropriate to assume that the Tibetan definition of Hinayana identifies a venerable living tradition as the Theravada or any other historical school.." Page 240.
Now that we sadly almost all missed bhante's joke, back to the topic at hand, please.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

BuddhaSoup wrote:I hope you stay in robes for many vassa, and find a longterm home in Australia.
Thank you. BuddhaSoup.

I'm not sure if I will settle in Australia. I'm ready to go anywhere if there's a good opportunity for me. I do like Australia so far.

Happy New Year everyone. New Year, new beginning and beginners mind

:anjali:
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I'm sorry your first teacher did not work out, but wherever you go next, I think it is more important that you continue your nissaya with a teacher until released from this dependence. I've seen a number of young monks go off too early on their own during their formative years. Very few lasted long in robes. I believe the ability to live through initial disappointments and disillusions helps one to remain in robes for the long term.