Happy New Year

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Cittasanto

Happy New Year

Post by Cittasanto »

Hope everyone has/had a nice time
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
daverupa

Re: Nappy New Year

Post by daverupa »

I shall, indeed, be napping when the change occurs.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

daverupa wrote:I shall, indeed, be napping when the change occurs.

:heart:
I had a little sit!

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Naps are good. I had a nappy old year and dont anticipate a change. Same to you :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Well, it's been New Year here for 16 hours, so I hope the rest of you are catching up...

:group:
Mike
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

My two year old is having a nappy new year, but he has made a new year's resolution that 2013 will be the year that he gives them up. (Non-British English speakers might have to look this one up - I know it often causes confusion in the USA...)

For all of us, may 2013 bring happiness and freedom. I'm off to take refuges and precepts at the local monastery in a few minutes, and will include you all in my best wishes.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Sam Vara wrote:My two year old is having a nappy new year, but he has made a new year's resolution that 2013 will be the year that he gives them up. (Non-British English speakers might have to look this one up - I know it often causes confusion in the USA...)

For all of us, may 2013 bring happiness and freedom. I'm off to take refuges and precepts at the local monastery in a few minutes, and will include you all in my best wishes.
:) I only just noticed the spelling mistake :(
hehe

John Stuart Mill
Raitanator

Post by Raitanator »

Happy new second everyone! While we're still alive and can experience it.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Cittasanto wrote::) I only just noticed the spelling mistake :(
hehe
Fixed.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Re: Happy New Year

Post by Cittasanto »

bodom wrote:
Cittasanto wrote::) I only just noticed the spelling mistake :(
hehe
Fixed.

:anjali:
:cry:

John Stuart Mill
cooran

Post by cooran »

Happy 2013 to all! :woohoo:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi »

Happy New Year!

with Metta,
SamBodhi
"An inward-staying
unentangled knowing,
All outward-going knowing
cast aside."
--Upasika Kee Nanayon
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

John Stuart Mill
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Happy New Year! :smile: :toast:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Happy New Year Everyone!!! :smile:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta