Australia

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Mr Man
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: Australia

Postby Mr Man » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:39 am

pilgrim wrote:I'm sorry your first teacher did not work out, but wherever you go next, I think it is more important that you continue your nissaya with a teacher until released from this dependence. I've seen a number of young monks go off too early on their own during their formative years. Very few lasted long in robes. I believe the ability to live through initial disappointments and disillusions helps one to remain in robes for the long term.

I agree. :anjali:

Thanavuddho
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Thanavuddho » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:55 am

Mr Man wrote:
pilgrim wrote:I'm sorry your first teacher did not work out, but wherever you go next, I think it is more important that you continue your nissaya with a teacher until released from this dependence. I've seen a number of young monks go off too early on their own during their formative years. Very few lasted long in robes. I believe the ability to live through initial disappointments and disillusions helps one to remain in robes for the long term.

I agree. :anjali:

This seems like very reasonable posting by pilgrim. Continuing my nissaya is indeed one of my concerns.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi

Kusala

Postby Kusala » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:23 am

Thanavuddho wrote:
BuddhaSoup wrote:I hope you stay in robes for many vassa, and find a longterm home in Australia.

Thank you. BuddhaSoup.

I'm not sure if I will settle in Australia. I'm ready to go anywhere if there's a good opportunity for me. I do like Australia so far.

Happy New Year everyone. New Year, new beginning and beginners mind

:anjali:

May the Tripe Gem continue to guide you.

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.

Raitanator

Postby Raitanator » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:20 am

It seems like UK has a good connection with Theravada. Just by look of it how they support that tradition. I think it's important for you to find a place where there's support for you to continue, well, whatever you're doing. I know a handful of monastics, who live in West and they have had to get a job. One of them is Lama. Monks and nuns here don't have same kind culture of support what is so amazingly still alive in Asia.

You're not coming back to Finland? Here's already one Theravada monk living permanently. I think he's staying about 5km where I live.

Thanavuddho
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Thanavuddho » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Raitanator wrote:It seems like UK has a good connection with Theravada. Just by look of it how they support that tradition.

UK is one option.

I think it's important for you to find a place where there's support for you to continue, well, whatever you're doing. I know a handful of monastics, who live in West and they have had to get a job. One of them is Lama. Monks and nuns here don't have same kind culture of support what is so amazingly still alive in Asia.

This is indeed true. And it's going to be even more difficult for a monk intending to keep his Vinaya as pure as possible.

You're not coming back to Finland? Here's already one Theravada monk living permanently. I think he's staying about 5km where I live.

I did want to stay away longer, but because of the current situation, coming back there is one option.

People have suggested many options for me. For example, I've been invited to a cave in Isreal. Sri Lanka has been mentioned. Many people have also offered assistance.

So I have a change of survival.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi

Ben
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:22 pm

As per request by the op,this thread is now locked.
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

Return to “Lounge”