Uposatha 2013

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Cittasanto

Re: Uposatha 2013

Post by Cittasanto »

Found the post I was thinking of.

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:If one follows the astronomical date and time precisely, there will sometimes be 16 days between Uposatha days, but there should be either 14 or 15 days. If the full moon in the UK is at 07:12 am on the 15th January should we observe the Uposatha day on the 14th or the 15th?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I've no idea how it is actually calculated, but the key point is that different sects have different dates. It makes sense to use the same calendar as your friends/local monastery/etc, otherwise you might turn up to Vesak or something on the wrong day and wonder why no-one else showed up... :thinking:

:anjali:
Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

mikenz66 wrote:otherwise you might turn up to Vesak or something on the wrong day and wonder why no-one else showed up... :thinking:
It puzzles me why people always want to meditate in a group — the idea of going alone to meditate at a temple seems to be scary to many, but if all you're going to do is sit and/or walk in silence, why does anyone else need to be there? Surely, if you're the only one to turn up, it means you have the place to yourself, and no one coughing or perhaps disturbing you in other ways?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

:anjali: :twothumbsup: :anjali:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:otherwise you might turn up to Vesak or something on the wrong day and wonder why no-one else showed up... :thinking:
It puzzles me why people always want to meditate in a group — the idea of going alone to meditate at a temple seems to be scary to many, but if all you're going to do is sit and/or walk in silence, why does anyone else need to be there? Surely, if you're the only one to turn up, it means you have the place to yourself, and no one coughing or perhaps disturbing you in other ways?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Here is the calendar from Wat Metta that we use for the Uposatha Observance Club http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... a2013.html
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com