New Year's resolutions

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
alan

New Year's resolutions

Post by alan »

Have you made any, in the realm of health?
I did so 10 years ago today. Still lifting weights, biking and doing Yoga. My hair is grayer but my body is strong.
What have you decided to do today to be more healthful in the future?
cooran

Re: New Year's resolutions

Post by cooran »

I'm beginning Yoga, losing weight and I'm getting back to a regular Meditation practice again.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Lose some excess kilos and give up caffeine.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
alan

Post by alan »

What's wrong with a cup of coffee in the morning?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Absolutely nothing, Alan. I'm just going on retreat in one week and I don't want to go through withdrawal there and I have better concentration when I am not drinking tea and coffee.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Yana

Post by Yana »

Weight Lifting to Build Mass

so a lot of training till full failure grr.

My Goal is to gain/put on 8kg. :tongue:
Life is preparing for Death
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I have a whopping 27kg to lose.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Middle way: be a bit more active and get a bit fitter.
:juggling:
Kim
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Up the meditation to 2 hours a day, and giving up smoking.

Also, I really would like to learn how to do a handstand.

:anjali:
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Learn about Dr Ian Moseley's Feast and Fast diet.

BBC Interview
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
alan

Post by alan »

You fast every night. No need to follow this diet, just eat less for dinner, and do Yoga and some other activity in the morning.
Very important to recognize that lower weight is not always good. Muscle weighs much more than fat. Losing muscle is always bad. Best way to lose fat and gain muscle is to stop eating simple carbs, and lift weights.
Digity

Post by Digity »

Ben wrote:Lose some excess kilos and give up caffeine.
I recently gave up coffee cold turkey. I noticed it was making me anxious and decided I needed to stop. I've replaced it with green tea. It wasn't too bad and now that I've developed the new routine of making tea rather than coffee I don't really miss it much.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I have a whopping 27kg to lose.
I have about the same to get to my comfortable weight.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Digity wrote:
Ben wrote:Lose some excess kilos and give up caffeine.
I recently gave up coffee cold turkey. I noticed it was making me anxious and decided I needed to stop. I've replaced it with green tea. It wasn't too bad and now that I've developed the new routine of making tea rather than coffee I don't really miss it much.
I'm going cold turkey on coffee, tea and and other sources of caffeine and its variants. End of day two and the withdrawal has been unpleasant.
Cittasanto wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote: I have a whopping 27kg to lose.
I have about the same to get to my comfortable weight.
If you have a smartphone, you might want to download the free app: "myfitnesspal". It allows one to diarise one's food intake and exercise. Its very easy and it provides encouragement via progress notes and contact with friends. My daughter told me about it and I've now got it on my phone and we track each other's progress. If you do download it and use it - let me know and I'll send you a friend request.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Ben wrote:If you have a smartphone, you might want to download the free app: "myfitnesspal". It allows one to diarise one's food intake and exercise. Its very easy and it provides encouragement via progress notes and contact with friends. My daughter told me about it and I've now got it on my phone and we track each other's progress. If you do download it and use it - let me know and I'll send you a friend request.
kind regards,

Ben
I used it a while ago and had some success, but their updated software made it all but unusable on my old phone. I have a Nexus 7 arriving soon (when they're back in stock, could be a month) and I'll start using it again then. My username is the same there as here :)