G.K. Chesterton?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
nrose619

G.K. Chesterton?

Post by nrose619 »

This man named G.K. Chesterton said "If you don't believe in God you've lost your common sense." I find this statment quite ridiculous since I can reason fully and clearly without beliveing in a supreme entity who created us. What do you guys think about this?
thanks,
:anjali:
"A silver bird
flies over the autumn lake.
When it has passed,
the lake's surface does not try
to hold on to the image of the bird."
Justsit

Re: G.K. Chesterton?

Post by Justsit »

Chesterton was a Christian apologist. He was a firm believer in God.

He believed what he believed - you believe what you believe.
No problem.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

nrose619 wrote:This man named G.K. Chesterton said "If you don't believe in God you've lost your common sense." I find this statment quite ridiculous since I can reason fully and clearly without beliveing in a supreme entity who created us. What do you guys think about this?
thanks,
:anjali:
I've Googled this, and can't find any link to Chesterton. My thoughts about it are that the person who said it had a different conception of "God" or "common sense" from me.

I have read quite a lot of Chesterton, and found him to be an intelligent and insightful writer, very humane and challenging of my preconceptions. As he was a Christian Englishman who died in 1936, it would not be surprising if he did believe something like your quote. But he would probably have expressed it more elegantly and thought-provokingly.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

nrose619 wrote:This man named G.K. Chesterton said "If you don't believe in God you've lost your common sense."
It is not a logical or good argument. It is a thought-terminating cliché, nothing more. There may be a logical argument for believing in a personal-God-supreme being but I haven't seen one and this is certainly not one.

One could use that phrase for anything; for example, "if you don't believe in fairies, you've lost your common sense" or "if you don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM), you've lost your common sense."
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Without disagreeing with any of the responses above ... It's quite possible Chesterton put those words in the mouth of one of his fictional characters, i.e. they are his words but they are not what he would have said himself.

:reading:
Kim
cooran

Post by cooran »

Or it occurred in a discussion like this:
http://www.apologetics315.com/2012/12/g ... heism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
plwk

Post by plwk »

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .niza.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Monks, there are four bonds. Which four? The bond of sensual pleasure, the bond of being, the bond of opinion, the bond of ignorance.
“And how is there the bond of opinions?
Here, monks, someone does not understand as it really is the arising, the subsiding, the sweetness, the wretchedness, and the leaving behind of opinions.
For one not understanding as it really is the arising, the subsiding, the sweetness, the wretchedness, and the leaving behind of modes of opinion; who, with respect to opinion, is obsessed with passion for opinion, delight in opinion, affection for opinion, intoxication with opinion, thirst for opinion, fever for opinion, attachment to opinion, craving for opinion: this, monks, is called ‘the bond of opinion’. Thus the bond of sensual pleasure, the bond of being, and the bond of opinion.

“Monks, there are four releases from bondage. Which four?
The release from the bondage of the bond of sensual pleasure, the release from the bondage of the bond of being, the release from the bondage of the bond of opinion, and the release from the bondage of the bond of ignorance.
“And how is there the release from the bondage of the bond of opinions?
Here, monks, someone understands as it really is the arising, the subsiding, the sweetness, the wretchedness, and the leaving behind of opinions.
For one understanding as it really is the arising, the subsiding, the sweetness, the wretchedness, and the leaving behind of opinions; who, with respect to opinions, is not obsessed with passion for opinions, delight in opinions, affection for opinions, intoxication with opinions, thirst for opinions, fever for opinions, attachment to opinions, craving for opinions: this, monks, is called ‘the release from bondage of the bond of opinions’. Thus the release from the bondage of the bond of sensual pleasure, the release from the bondage of the bond of being, and the release from the bondage of the bond of opinions.
See this too...
http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Thus ... nd_Stories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PARABLE 0120: THIS MIND IS THE BUDDHA
"Once a monk asked Big Plum what [the famous Zen Patriarch] Matsu taught him.
Big Plum said, 'This mind is the Buddha.'
The monk replied, 'Nowadays Matsu teaches That which isn't the mind isn't the Buddha.'
To this Big Plum replied, 'Let him have That which isn't the mind isn't the Buddha. I'll stick with This mind is the Buddha.'
When he heard this story, Matsu said, 'The plum is ripe.'
(Transmission of the Lamp, chapter 7)." Red Pine: 116
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

cooran wrote:Or it occurred in a discussion like this:
http://www.apologetics315.com/2012/12/g ... heism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It could have, but it didn't.
Google "If you don't believe in God you've lost your common sense", with or without "Chesterton", and you get ONE result ... this thread. :tongue:
Tentative conclusion: Chesterton didn't say it at all.

Okay, nrose619, where did you get it from?

:coffee:
Kim
pulga

Post by pulga »

The Buddhist scholar Paul Williams converted from Buddhism to Catholicism. I don't know off hand what drew Chesterton to the Catholic faith, but Prof. Williams gives his reasons for rejecting Buddhism and embracing Christianity in the link below.

http://whyimcatholic.com/index.php/conv ... l-williams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Paul Williams' reason for leaving buddhism are mainly poor understanding of rebirth and karma. Also, he never truly accepted the doctrine of anatta or he would not be so afraid of death.

It surprises me how can one can make a PhD in buddhist philosophy at Oxford (!) and make such interpretation mistakes. :shrug:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
nrose619

Post by nrose619 »

Hey Kim! This quote was told to be by G.K. Chesterton in the DVD "G.K. Chesterton The Apostle of Common Sense"
Last edited by nrose619 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A silver bird
When it has passed,
pulga

Post by pulga »

As luck will have it, we'll all be reborn as cockroaches in our coming lives.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
nrose619

Post by nrose619 »

Buddhism seemed problematic to Paul Williams because of the doctrines of rebirth and kamma, but in actuality it was Paul himself who let his view become problematic through worrying about death and beginnings; which in turn, demonstrates his inability to reach a full comprehension of the doctrines in both concept and practice. (as modus said). Paul also makes an emphais on the existence of self, " What is so terrifying about my being executed at dawn and reborn as a cockroach is that it is simply, quite straightforwardly, the end of me"- From this it seems Paul did not leave behind Buddhism because of the teachings themselves but rather his need for self-preservation and not clearly seeing that the ego is an illusion.
"A silver bird
When it has passed,
pulga

Post by pulga »

Just the thought of living forever, even if it doesn't imply death, scares the hell out of me.
nrose619

Post by nrose619 »

pulga wrote:Just the thought of living forever, even if it doesn't imply death, scares the hell out of me.
That is why the Buddha's wisdom is unlimited :twothumbsup: he showed a way to get off the wheel of coming and going. Nirvana (non-coming non-going) ;)
"A silver bird
When it has passed,