Open mindedness

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
mirco

Re: Open mindedness

Post by mirco »

Cittasanto wrote:DanieLion, Micro.
Out of curiosity what term are each of you using meditation to represent? There is a potentiality for miscommunication here, and if you are applying different meanings based on different rendering of two different words then it would be better to clear that up early on so both are on the same page. than circular conversation using different meanings for the same word/s. The two words are bhàvanà - cultivation, development = which I believe Danial is using.
jhàyanta - related to Jhana and meaning contemplation, meditation = which I believe Micro is using
No, that's not what I mean. I didn't even know of jhāyanta(contemplation) before this.

I can try to explain, what I am talking of.

If it's gonna happen, Nibbana itself timely will occure after returning from nirodha samāpatti. Into that state one drops only from nevasaññā-nasaññayatana. Mastering the jhanas is preceded and accompanied by stable virtue and generosity. It's a step-by-step programm, where each step leads to a more pure state of being. This is why I say, all all the Buddhist system is meditation, because all the elements are just parts of that big program. Take one thing away and it won't work anymore.

Regards :-)
mirco

Post by mirco »

Cittasanto wrote:
mirco wrote:what one does influences how bad the mental hindrances are present.
sure, but it is also what and how one thinks, there is sense restraint (which includes restraint regarding thoughts)
I should have been more explanatory. "Doing" of course includes "mental deeds" which is thinking and everything to be "done" with and in mind. {three kinds of action: mentally, verbally and physically}
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

mirco wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:DanieLion, Micro.
Out of curiosity what term are each of you using meditation to represent? There is a potentiality for miscommunication here, and if you are applying different meanings based on different rendering of two different words then it would be better to clear that up early on so both are on the same page. than circular conversation using different meanings for the same word/s. The two words are bhàvanà - cultivation, development = which I believe Danial is using.
jhàyanta - related to Jhana and meaning contemplation, meditation = which I believe Micro is using
No, that's not what I mean. I didn't even know of jhāyanta(contemplation) before this.

I can try to explain, what I am talking of.

If it's gonna happen, Nibbana itself timely will occure after returning from nirodha samāpatti. Into that state one drops only from nevasaññā-nasaññayatana. Mastering the jhanas is preceded and accompanied by stable virtue and generosity. It's a step-by-step programm, where each step leads to a more pure state of being. This is why I say, all all the Buddhist system is meditation, because all the elements are just parts of that big program. Take one thing away and it won't work anymore.

please see the underlined part. you have done no more than confirm.
to explain it better here is a pdf of Ajahn Thanissaro's called go do Jhana
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
mirco

Post by mirco »

Cittasanto wrote:please see the underlined part. you have done no more than confirm.
"Contemplation" was missleading for me. I tend to forget that contemplation isn't "thinking" but "observing".

P.S.: Nice exposition by Thanissaro Bhikkhu (Go, do Jhana). Worth another thread ;-)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

mirco wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:please see the underlined part. you have done no more than confirm.
"Contemplation" was missleading for me. I tend to forget that contemplation isn't "thinking" but "observing".

P.S.: Nice exposition by Thanissaro Bhikkhu (Go, do Jhana). Worth another thread ;-)
I believe it has its own.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill