Stay safe Aussies - life is more imp. than property

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Stay safe Aussies - life is more imp. than property

Post by cooran »

Stay safe everyone. Don’t stay defending property too long – life is more important than property.

Record temperatures spark fires across Australia
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/ ... -Australia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current fire locations in Australia
http://www.bushfirecrc.com/fire-locations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Re: Stay safe Aussies - life is more imp. than property

Post by retrofuturist »

Well said, Chris.

It's a shame that the nice weather that I really like inevitably leads to things getting burnt. I couldn't believe that Hobart was about 14'C warmer than Brisbane yesterday... freaky stuff.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:Well said, Chris.

It's a shame that the nice weather that I really like inevitably leads to things getting burnt. I couldn't believe that Hobart was about 14'C warmer than Brisbane yesterday... freaky stuff.

Metta,
Retro. :)
41.9 deg C, the highest maximum ever recorded for Hobart. Three main fires in Tasmania yesterday. About sixty buildings destroyed at Dunalley and one suspected death. Just last week, two of my kids were at the Falls music festival just next door to Dunalley at Marion Bay. I spoke to the landowner next door to my ex-place of employment in Fingal this morning. He has three fire-fighting units on the property and two utes (pick ups) with 1000 litre tanks of water on the back. He and his farm manager are on standby and patrolling the property watching for smoke. It's quite a tense time.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
manas

Post by manas »

Just watching the news...to all members at risk, please take care and let us know when the danger has passed.

With metta
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Ben

Post by Ben »

For those of you who don't know, Santi Monastery is under threat.
Today is a day of Catastropic Fire Danger in the part of New South Wales (Australia).
From Phalañānī Bhikkhuni's facebook page:
We are facing the worst fire danger in history in New South Wales, Australia. Heat wave and strong winds are conditions for catastrophic fire danger. Visitors of our Monastery who were dependent on public transport left early this morning. The next fire is 50 kms away and wind carries the danger away from us - towards others. We are presently not in acute danger but fully aware that fires already are getting out of control in other areas in NSW, fully aware that we might have to evacuate and can do so, but many beings, animals, insects can not. May all beings be save.
Please spare a thought for everyone at Santi Monastery.
With metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Digity

Post by Digity »

Global warming?
bodom

Post by bodom »

May all beings be free from danger.
May we be happy.
May we be healthy.
May we live with ease.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB