Cultural Studies and Matters of Faith: The Case of DhammaWhe

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cittasanto

Cultural Studies and Matters of Faith: The Case of DhammaWhe

Post by Cittasanto »

came accross this
http://www.academia.edu/476440/Cultural ... aWheel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
daverupa

Re: Cultural Studies and Matters of Faith: The Case of DhammaWhe

Post by daverupa »

I wonder what mikenz66 has to say about it, seeing as how he inadvertently wrote some of it. :tongue:
In their attempts to follow Buddhism, Western Buddhists like mikenz66, retrofuturist, and Jechbi have had to rethink the relationship between reason, religion, faith, knowledge and ethics which, unlike the Western philosophical tradition, aren't categories sharply distinguished in Buddhism.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

daverupa wrote:I wonder what mikenz66 has to say about it, seeing as how he inadvertently wrote some of it. :tongue:
In their attempts to follow Buddhism, Western Buddhists like mikenz66, retrofuturist, and Jechbi have had to rethink the relationship between reason, religion, faith, knowledge and ethics which, unlike the Western philosophical tradition, aren't categories sharply distinguished in Buddhism.
I thought it quite peculiar.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Actually, it was our friend zavk who wrote the paper, not Mike. But Mike, and some of us in Australia, who were interviewed by Ed.
Mike's gone off for a retreat, so perhaps you would like to address your questions to Zavk.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I didn't know there had been interviews; the impression I had was of simple forum research, so my comment was trying to encompass wonder at having been thoroughly cited in this modern way. Anyway, it was jokingly mentioned, whence 'inadvertently'.

I haven't got any questions about the paper; it's rather niche, and doesn't have any territory on my mind map.

:candle:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

Ben

Post by Ben »

No worries, Dave.
I did contact Ed on Facebook and he mentioned that he was more than happy to answer any specific questions anyone has.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Ben wrote:No worries, Dave.
I did contact Ed on Facebook and he mentioned that he was more than happy to answer any specific questions anyone has.
Kind regards,
Ben
Cool.
When I came accross this I was looking through the site at what sort of papers were there, and if any would be of interest (of which several were). so Personally I don't know when I will read it but soon.

John Stuart Mill
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Dave,
daverupa wrote:I wonder what mikenz66 has to say about it, seeing as how he inadvertently wrote some of it. :tongue:
You mean my posts are inadvertent? That's probably taking anatta a little too far... :tongue:

:anjali:
Mike
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Humor fail, on my part. 0/10

You wrote the posts, which ended up - through no intention of yours, thereby 'inadvertently' - comprising a not insignificant percentage of the paper's total word-count (and, thereby, 'wrote some').

:juggling: