i need a teacher!!!

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ground

Re: i need a teacher!!!

Post by ground »

"Bhikkhus, dwell with yourself as an island, with yourself as a refuge, with no other refuge; with the Dhamma as an island, with the Dhamma as a refuge, with no other refuge. When you dwell with yourself as an island, with yourself as a refuge, with no other refuge; with the Dhamma as an island, with the Dhamma as a refuge, with no other refuge, the basis itself should be investigated thus: 'From what are sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and dispair born? How are they produced?'"

"And bhikkhus, from what are sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure and despair born? Here, bhikkhus, the uninstructed worldling, who is not a seer of the noble ones and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, who is not a seer of superior persons and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, regards {aggregates} as self, or self as possessing {aggregates}, or {aggregates} as in self, or self as in {aggregates}. That {aggregates} of his changes and alters. With the change and alteration of form, there arise in him, sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure and despair."

"But bhikkhus, when one has understood the impermanence of {aggregates}, its change, fading away, and cessation, and when one sees with correct wisdom thus: 'In the past and also now all {aggregates} is impermanent, suffering, and subject to change,' then sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair are abandoned. With their abandonment one does not become agitated. Being unagitated, one dwells happily. A bikkhu who dwells happily is said to be quenched in that respect."

SN22.43 (B. Bodhi)
:sage:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

As for the individual who has attained neither internal tranquillity of awareness nor insight into phenomena through heightened discernment, he should approach an individual who has attained both internal tranquillity of awareness & insight into phenomena through heightened discernment... and ask him, 'How should the mind be steadied? How should it be made to settle down? How should it be unified? How should it be concentrated? How should fabrications be regarded? How should they be investigated? How should they be seen with insight?' The other will answer in line with what he has seen & experienced: 'The mind should be steadied in this way. The mind should be made to settle down in this way. The mind should be unified in this way. The mind should be concentrated in this way. Fabrications should be regarded in this way. Fabrications should be investigated in this way. Fabrications should be seen in this way with insight.' Then eventually he [the first] will become one who has attained both internal tranquillity of awareness & insight into phenomena through heightened discernment. AN 4.94 PTS: AN ii 93 http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage:
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

You can submit questions to his YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/yuttadhammo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His video did helped me a lot and i'm sure he qualified as a good online Theravada teacher even though i find the way he talk a little boring(because i got spoilt by Ajahn Brahm's stupid jokes).
alan...

Post by alan... »

Justsit wrote:
alan... wrote:
plwk wrote:something i always ask myself: am i ready to be a student?
um... what are you insinuating?
Perhaps plwk is hinting that becoming a student is not always simple or easy.

Many students travel long distances to receive precious teachings. For example, in the old days, students walked across the Himalayas from Tibet to India to seek authentic masters. Today, we may not have to make those kinds of sacrifices, but the path will often require us to move out of our comfort zone. In the old Christian terms, it will require our time, talent, and treasure. We may have to take off work; some people go into debt to travel, or use their vacation time for retreat, or whatever. It isn't always convenient, but sometimes more effort yields better results.
:anjali:
for me it's about kamma. i could go into debt and leave my family behind to struggle while i lose money by taking time off work and go see a teacher in a far off land. if i had no responsibilities i would already have ordained actually! however i feel like if i did this it would be bad for my family and would be some seriously bad kamma. yes dhamma is important and good but chasing it selfishly has got to be bad. so i stay and work hard to make sure my family is happy.
alan...

Post by alan... »

barcsimalsi wrote:

You can submit questions to his YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/yuttadhammo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His video did helped me a lot and i'm sure he qualified as a good online Theravada teacher even though i find the way he talk a little boring(because i got spoilt by Ajahn Brahm's stupid jokes).
lolz! LOVE brahm so much!!! and thanks i'll check this guy out.
alan...

Post by alan... »

tiltbillings wrote:
As for the individual who has attained neither internal tranquillity of awareness nor insight into phenomena through heightened discernment, he should approach an individual who has attained both internal tranquillity of awareness & insight into phenomena through heightened discernment... and ask him, 'How should the mind be steadied? How should it be made to settle down? How should it be unified? How should it be concentrated? How should fabrications be regarded? How should they be investigated? How should they be seen with insight?' The other will answer in line with what he has seen & experienced: 'The mind should be steadied in this way. The mind should be made to settle down in this way. The mind should be unified in this way. The mind should be concentrated in this way. Fabrications should be regarded in this way. Fabrications should be investigated in this way. Fabrications should be seen in this way with insight.' Then eventually he [the first] will become one who has attained both internal tranquillity of awareness & insight into phenomena through heightened discernment. AN 4.94 PTS: AN ii 93 http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage:
i would like to do this. where can i find someone to ask these things?
alan...

Post by alan... »

ground wrote:
"Bhikkhus, dwell with yourself as an island, with yourself as a refuge, with no other refuge; with the Dhamma as an island, with the Dhamma as a refuge, with no other refuge. When you dwell with yourself as an island, with yourself as a refuge, with no other refuge; with the Dhamma as an island, with the Dhamma as a refuge, with no other refuge, the basis itself should be investigated thus: 'From what are sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and dispair born? How are they produced?'"

"And bhikkhus, from what are sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure and despair born? Here, bhikkhus, the uninstructed worldling, who is not a seer of the noble ones and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, who is not a seer of superior persons and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, regards {aggregates} as self, or self as possessing {aggregates}, or {aggregates} as in self, or self as in {aggregates}. That {aggregates} of his changes and alters. With the change and alteration of form, there arise in him, sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure and despair."

"But bhikkhus, when one has understood the impermanence of {aggregates}, its change, fading away, and cessation, and when one sees with correct wisdom thus: 'In the past and also now all {aggregates} is impermanent, suffering, and subject to change,' then sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair are abandoned. With their abandonment one does not become agitated. Being unagitated, one dwells happily. A bikkhu who dwells happily is said to be quenched in that respect."

SN22.43 (B. Bodhi)
:sage:

this is what i've been doing for years. and you know what? it actually kind of works. so i will be my own island and the dhamma will be my dwelling. i have the pali canon and the mass of info on the internet so i think i'll just keep doing it that way. maybe it's better anyway? this way i'm forced to study the dhamma deeply, learn it myself from the source instead of having someone else give me their ideas about it and reinterpret everything.
alan...

Post by alan... »

SDC wrote:
alan... wrote:there are no temples near me and travel is out of the question until i become rich for no reason someday :tongue:

there has to be some way i can find one remotely, online, or heck i'd even settle for writing letters like in ancient times!

anyone know of a way i could find this???
Do you have a monk or teacher in mind? Find out where they are and write a letter or email.

Took me two years of emails to various people before I was able to find a certain monk I was looking for. Eventually I was able to meet and speak with him.
i might try this, thanks.
sarahypp

Post by sarahypp »

Dharma is Dharma... there is no difference in any lineage you pursue. If you have a Buddhist temple near you, be grateful and pay homage to the Buddha in the temple.

The basics of Dharma can never be any different, it is all the same in all lineage. It is only the higher practices that when the difference of the Buddhist schools is apparent. So go ahead and study the basics and practice it.

If you love Theravada lineage, then do listen to Ajahn Brahm's youtube teachings. I'm from the Vajrayana school, and still I love listening to Him, so much wisdom and very practical teachings that has helped me lead a happier life after I start applying it to my life. Just google Ajahn's name and you will see so many teachings there... I love His teachings.

The point is, never make an excuse for yourself. Although you've mentioned that you wanted to be ordained as a monk... never let anything hold you back because being a monk you can help many and even your family. The Buddha did not leave his family because he thought it was a selfish act, but because seeking Enlightenment is above all that is important in life. Family and friends, we can only help them so little if we remain the way we are... but with great Dharma practice, we can help them tremendously, even at the point of death, which is the most important moment for us all.

I wish you great accomplishments in this life, may you gain great attainments.
alan...

Post by alan... »

sarahypp wrote:Dharma is Dharma... there is no difference in any lineage you pursue. If you have a Buddhist temple near you, be grateful and pay homage to the Buddha in the temple.

The basics of Dharma can never be any different, it is all the same in all lineage. It is only the higher practices that when the difference of the Buddhist schools is apparent. So go ahead and study the basics and practice it.

If you love Theravada lineage, then do listen to Ajahn Brahm's youtube teachings. I'm from the Vajrayana school, and still I love listening to Him, so much wisdom and very practical teachings that has helped me lead a happier life after I start applying it to my life. Just google Ajahn's name and you will see so many teachings there... I love His teachings.

The point is, never make an excuse for yourself. Although you've mentioned that you wanted to be ordained as a monk... never let anything hold you back because being a monk you can help many and even your family. The Buddha did not leave his family because he thought it was a selfish act, but because seeking Enlightenment is above all that is important in life. Family and friends, we can only help them so little if we remain the way we are... but with great Dharma practice, we can help them tremendously, even at the point of death, which is the most important moment for us all.

I wish you great accomplishments in this life, may you gain great attainments.
have you ever tried following vajrayana or pure land? there is a VAST difference in chanting "amitabha" constantly and developing faith in him with the wish to be reborn in his pure land after death compared to practicing mindfulness and meditation in this life to see through delusion of self according to the theravada pali canon. and there is a huge difference between practicing death bardo practice all the time and doing yidam practice and what not in vajrayana compared to the current life and non deity related practices in theravada.

some may believe that they all lead to the same place but the pure land school does not claim to lead to seeing through reality here and now. their goal is admittedly a pure land AFTER death. the vajrayana does not claim to reach for nibbana here and now, their goal is to see not self AFTER death in the death bardo. there are schools of thought within vajrayana that are similar to theravada, dzogchen for one, but i'm just giving specific examples about how all lineages and practices do not at all lead to the same thing.

the idea that they all lead the same direction eventually is an opinion. many believe that the teachings that coincide with the pali canon are the only true teachings and that if one strays off to some other non related practices that one will at best end up in heaven after death and be still at risk to fall into lower realms after passing away from there.

i practiced tibetan buddhism for two years based on books, zen for six directly under tutelage at a temple and now i learn directly from the pali canon and as far as i can tell, they are not all cohesive and compatible. there are some exceptions, zen is very similar to the vipassana approach in theravada, they divide usually on the point of buddha nature. for example in some zen sects it is believed someone can realize nibbana out of the blue in a flash by seeing their own true buddha nature. in theravada it is believed that it is a gradual process. however some zen sects are extremely close to theravada practice. some maybe even 80-90% similar if you if you don't get too hung up on literal doctrine. there are even people who present the idea that almost all zen ideas can be found in the theravada, even the heart sutra!

as far as vajrayana there are some teachers and perhaps some lineages that are similar to theravada but i've never read about or known of any that are any more than maybe 50% similar but i could be wrong, perhaps there is one out there, just not that i have seen.

could they all be right? sure, why not. so i'm not trying to slam any traditions or anything, just stating my view on things. perhaps all traditions are the true way and it's all the same thing.
sarahypp

Post by sarahypp »

Hmm, I had the initial opinion that you were solely looking for Theravada tradition, and thought I'd point out that better to get Dharma from another lineage where available than none at all. I've obviously misunderstood your point and for that I apologize.

Which part of the world are you from? I live in a place where Theravada tradition is abundance and many of my friends come from this practice. Perhaps I can ask around to connect you with a teacher near you.
alan...

Post by alan... »

sarahypp wrote:Hmm, I had the initial opinion that you were solely looking for Theravada tradition, and thought I'd point out that better to get Dharma from another lineage where available than none at all. I've obviously misunderstood your point and for that I apologize.

Which part of the world are you from? I live in a place where Theravada tradition is abundance and many of my friends come from this practice. Perhaps I can ask around to connect you with a teacher near you.
oh so by lineages you meant different theravada lineages? i thought you were saying all buddhism is the same and just go to any temple and practice regardless of what school it is.