my job in social work

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
K.Dhamma

my job in social work

Post by K.Dhamma »

First, I am new to the forums and only about 3 weeks into practicing buddhism. If I am posting this in the wrong area, please let me know. I am not used to this forum yet. That being said:

So, I work at a group home for mental illness. I love working with the clients, BUT I have to bill medicaid and medicare. My problem is this, my supervisor told me that my primary role is to get 5 hours of billing a night coded into the system, however I don't even spend that much time with them. If I did spend that much time with them then the billing would never get done because it takes a lot of work to enter services into the computer. However, my supervisor told me to get the 5 hours put in or I would have to find another job. I feel like she is expecting me to lie in order to accomplish this. I know there are a few violations of the precepts involved with this, but how would you guys handle it?
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
cooran

Re: my job in social work

Post by cooran »

Hello K.Dhamma,

I would get advice from your National Association of Social Workers. Or your union.
http://www.socialworkers.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are there other Social Workers working therre? If so, perhaps a discussion with them - or seeking further advice from your supervisior.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

It's fraud, plain and simple. Report her anonymously and find a new job. Don't kid yourself, this kind of thing only has a way of getting worse.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
SDC

Post by SDC »

Definitely shady.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Yeah that's fraud. Be an anonymous whistleblower to the Fraud Squad.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I agree with all the above comments, but it's never that easy is it? Are you dependent on them to complete your hours towards licensure? I worked for an outfit like that. You probably signed some policy manual statement that clearly forbids any kind of insurance fraud. So if you file a complaint, they will respond by claiming that you committed any fraud of your own volition and in contradiction of the policies, and/ or a more efficient worker can complete all the work in a timely manner (and you have a history of being unreliable/ unproductive). Proceed with caution.
Last edited by Monkey Mind on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
K.Dhamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

Ty monkey. Yes, it is never that easy. But fraud is fraud. However I also worry about whistle blowing because this company is desperate for money and I don't want the clients to lose their home.

Puts me in a predicament, but I think I will mention something anon. There is more going on that I am not posting, but that was the one that actually effecting me.

I will probably wait until I find another job to say something. Idk. Thank you everyone!
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

K.Dhamma wrote:Ty monkey. Yes, it is never that easy. But fraud is fraud. However I also worry about whistle blowing because this company is desperate for money and I don't want the clients to lose their home.

Puts me in a predicament, but I think I will mention something anon. There is more going on that I am not posting, but that was the one that actually effecting me.

I will probably wait until I find another job to say something. Idk. Thank you everyone!
You're right to say something; while it is great to want to avoid any disruption in client services, you do the elderly and sick no favors by perpetuating fraud. Every day that this behavior goes on just means that the eventual collapse will hurt them even more.

I wish you the best!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.