Theravada book list

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SonOtheSouth

Theravada book list

Post by SonOtheSouth »

As I am new to Buddhism, I would like to get some good books to learn from. I have used the search function but to no avail... perhaps I'm not entering the right words, as I'm sure similar threads have been discussed.
I am only interested in Theravada Buddhism, so what would be some good books to get me started ? I have 'Buddhism Plain and Simple' by Steve Hagen, but I think this is Zen... and I also have 'Start where you are' by Pema Chodron, but she is not Theravada either. I'm sure these books have great things to offer, but being a beginner I'm not sure if they will be benificial to me wanting to learn Theravada. ( or am I wrong ? )
Anyway, any suggestions will be appreciated. I have links to many e-books, but I personally like a real book. I'm old fashioned like that. :)
Thanks
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Theravada book list

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

I would suggest getting Bhikkhu Bodhi's collection of actual Buddhist scriptures,In the Buddha's Words.

Also try:

What the Buddha Taught and The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching.

These three books really helped me as I was first learning about Theravada. I think they would all be good places to start.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Ben

Post by Ben »

If you go into the Discovering Theravada forum, you will find a pinned topic: "introductory Resources", it may be of assistance to you.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Introductory Material:
The Buddha's Teachings As It is [audio] by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi
Mindfulness in Plain English by Ven. Henepola Gunaratana

Intermediate Material:
In The Buddha's Words by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi
The Four Foundations of Mindfulness in Plain English by Ven. Henepola Gunaratana

Advanced Material:
Practicing the Jhanas by Stephen Snyder and Tina Rasmussen
Satipatthana: The Direct Path to Realization by Ven. Analayo
SonOtheSouth

Post by SonOtheSouth »

Thanks all... I appreciate it.
reflection

Post by reflection »

Word of the Buddha by Nyantiloka is the one I like best. This is not as much a general introduction, but it's an anthology of the suttas, placed in a logical order.

Available as ebook here: http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/wordofbuddha.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But it also exists in hardcopy (I have a much different print but it works)
nibbuti

Post by nibbuti »

SonOtheSouth wrote: so what would be some good books to get me started ? I have 'Buddhism Plain and Simple' by Steve Hagen, but I think this is Zen... and I also have 'Start where you are' by Pema Chodron, but she is not Theravada either. I'm sure these books have great things to offer, but being a beginner I'm not sure if they will be benificial to me wanting to learn Theravada. ( or am I wrong ? )
Hi SonOtheSouth.

Any anthology or 'boiled down' material has things to offer, but will only go so far, because it's dyed with the author's view or selection.

Since you're past the first exposure, I suggest go straight to the source.

:anjali:
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

reflection wrote:Word of the Buddha by Nyantiloka is the one I like best. This is not as much a general introduction, but it's an anthology of the suttas, placed in a logical order.

Available as ebook here: http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/wordofbuddha.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But it also exists in hardcopy (I have a much different print but it works)
Word of the Buddha by Nyanatiloka and "In the Buddha's words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi are both great anthologies that directly quote a selection of suttas and put them in a good context.
Word of the Buddha by Nyanatiloka is shorter, precise and more condensed - In the Buddha's Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi is less condensed but transports the spirit of Theravada in a wonderful way. Bhikkhu Bodhis commentaries of the selected texts alone are worth the money.
Personally, I use my hardcopy of Nyanatilokas Word of the Buddha regulary to look up stuff. I'm not finished with Bhikkhu Bodhi's anthology yet but can already say that it's a great resource.

Best wishes,
Alobha