Dhammapada inquiries

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dmitriy

Dhammapada inquiries

Post by Dmitriy »

Hello there, I have been investigating and reading the dhammapada for a tattoo I was thinking about getting. Now I'm fairly certain I have found a verse (sadly on the Internet) and was looking for confirmation of the verse(s). The verses I found are from the website http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/new/lesson/pali/lesson_pali3.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which convientiently shows a romanization of the Pali as well as a deconstruction of the grammar. However I did find this on the Internet and I'd greatly appreciate any confirmation of the legitimacy and accuracy of this form of the dhammapada. Also, I'd like my tattoo to be in the devanagari script of Pali, as the roman script seems somewhat artificial. In particular, I was looking for the devanagari Pali versions of verses 202 and 251; which (if the above site is trustworthy), are somewhat like this:

There is no fire like passion. There is no evil like hatred.
There is no suffering like the Aggregates of existence. There is no happiness higher than tranquility.

Sentence Structure:

na atthi raga+samo aggi na atthi dosa+samo kali
| | | | | | | | | |
neg. V.act.in. N.m. Adj.m. N.m. neg. V.act.in. N.m. Adj.m. N.m.
| 3.Sg.pres. | Nom.Sg. Nom.Sg. | 3.Sg.pres. | Nom.Sg. Nom.Sg.
|_______| |_____| | |______| |______| |
| |__________| | |__________|
|__________________| |_________________|

na atthi khandha+sama dukkha na atthi santi+paraj sukhaj
| | | | | | | | | |
neg. V.act.in. N.m. Adj.m. N.m. neg. V.act.in. N.f. Adj.n. N.n.
| 3.Sg.pres. | Nom.Pl. Nom.Pl. | 3.Sg.pres. | Nom.Sg. Nom.Sg.
|_______| |_______| | |_____| |____| |
|__________________| |________________|

And

There is no fire like passion. There is no grasp like hatred.
There is no net like delusion. There is no river like thirst.

Sentence Structure:
na atthi raga+samo aggi na atthi dosa+samo gaho
| | | | | | | | | |
neg. V.act.in. N.m. Adj.m. N.m. neg. V.act.in. N.m. Adj.m. N.m.
|_______| |_____| | |______| |_____| |
|_________________| |________________|
na atthi moha+samaj jalaj na atthi tanha+sama nadi
| | | | | | | | | |
neg. V.act.in. N.m. Adj.n. N.n. neg. V.act.in. N.f. Adj.f. N.f.
|_______| |______| | |_____| |_____| |

If anyone could please confirm the legitimacy of the website that would be deeply appreciated. If the site is legitimate (it's the actual dhammapada) I would greatly appreciate Pali devanagari scripts of the above verses.

EDIT: the version of the dhammapada at http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/prn1dhamma.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; confirms the translations of the above verses
SamKR

Re: Dhammapada inquiries

Post by SamKR »

Hello Dmitriy,
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
These verses are authentic. Below are these verses in Pali/Roman, Pali/Devanagari, and their translations:

Pali - Roman:
Natthi rāgasamo aggi, natthi dosasamo kali;
Natthi khandhasamā dukkhā, natthi santiparaṃ sukhaṃ.
http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502m.mul14.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Natthi rāgasamo aggi, natthi dosasamo gaho;
Natthi mohasamaṃ jālaṃ, natthi taṇhāsamā nadī.
http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502m.mul17.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pali - Devanagari:
नत्थि रागसमो अग्गि, नत्थि दोससमो कलि।
नत्थि खन्धसमा दुक्खा, नत्थि सन्तिपरं सुखं॥
http://www.tipitaka.org/deva/cscd/s0502m.mul14.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

नत्थि रागसमो अग्गि, नत्थि दोससमो गहो।
नत्थि मोहसमं जालं, नत्थि तण्हासमा नदी॥
http://www.tipitaka.org/deva/cscd/s0502m.mul17.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Translations:
There's no fire like passion,
no loss like anger,
no pain like the aggregates,
no ease other than peace.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's no fire like passion,
no seizure like anger,
no snare like delusion,
no river like craving.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dmitriy

Post by Dmitriy »

Thank you so very much, my friend!!!! I've been looking for the devanagari of the dhammapada for months now, thank you for the great links and amazing response time. This will definitely be very useful to me; I've been slowly learning to read Pali, though I'm still beginning. Again thank you, you have saved me hours upon hours of Internet binging.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Post a picture of the tattoo when you get it. :D
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
tomwest

Post by tomwest »

I have also been searching for a Pali/Devanagari transaltion of Verse 61: If a person seeking a companion cannot find one who is better than or equal to him, let him resolutely go on alone; there can be no companionship with a fool. I would like to have this as a tattoo but do not want the Romanized text. Can you give me any help? Thank you.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tomwest wrote:I have also been searching for a Pali/Devanagari transaltion of Verse 61: If a person seeking a companion cannot find one who is better than or equal to him, let him resolutely go on alone; there can be no companionship with a fool. I would like to have this as a tattoo but do not want the Romanized text. Can you give me any help? Thank you.

चरञ्‍चे नाधिगच्छेय्य, सेय्यं सदिसमत्तनो।

एकचरियं दळ्हं कयिरा, नत्थि बाले सहायता॥
hope this is the right one I do not understand the script but it should be the one
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
tomwest

Post by tomwest »

Thank you. Can this be confirmed by anyone? I would hate to put the wrong one on my body, but then, they are all true, so it wouldn't be a disaster!
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tomwest wrote:Thank you. Can this be confirmed by anyone? I would hate to put the wrong one on my body, but then, they are all true, so it wouldn't be a disaster!
I am 99% sure it is the correct one. but as I say...

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
tomwest

Post by tomwest »

and thank you again - m100% :smile:
tomwest

Post by tomwest »

One question - are those two commas that I see within the script? Would they be removed to make it correct?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tomwest wrote:One question - are those two commas that I see within the script? Would they be removed to make it correct?
I have no idea to be honest, but I am assuming they have been put in to break the sentence up propperly? the lines at the end I assume are ; or : and .

John Stuart Mill
tomwest

Post by tomwest »

Many thanks!