[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
MN 8. Sallekha Sutta - Dhamma Wheel

MN 8. Sallekha Sutta

Each week we study and discuss a different sutta or Dhamma text

Moderator: mikenz66

jcsuperstar

MN 8. Sallekha Sutta

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:49 am

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

mindfullmom

Re: MN 8. Sallekha Sutta

Postby mindfullmom » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:30 am

Hi all,

I'm new to the board. I'm grateful to find a place to study the suttas on line with others.

I love how the Buddha's teachings are so simple yet so complex and this sutta is a perfect example of that. This sutta contains the teachings that I have committed myself to for the last several years and slowly I have seen the fruits of this path. I think awareness of these 44 is the key. Harmful states do not arise as often, when they do I am aware of them, attempt to trace their root, see the dependant orgination of the thought or feeling and then drop them. Through repeatition of this process it has become a natural state of being.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:37 pm

This sutta is often used by 'pure/dry vipassana' lineage holders that jhana is just anout pleasant abiding- but of course that doesnt tally with other suttas which clearly identify jhana as part of the noble eightfold path.

This method of effacement is also a good example of appropriate contemplation 'yoniso manasikara'- the buddha said that this was one of the most useful internal tools in becoming enlightened. it is a intentional thinking and internal verbalization which draws attention to the occruing phenomena.

note that the yogi who thinks in this manner is using a comparison ' others may do it, I wont' - this initself is a subtle defilement- of manna ' measuring' or conceit. this is an example of using a defilement to progress further on the path. one can also use craving to do the same thing (craving for wholesome states)

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:25 am

Sher

Postby Sher » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:54 pm

Sher

Postby Sher » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:14 pm

(1) A person given to harmfulness has non-harming by which to avoid it.
(2) A person given to killing living beings has abstention from killing by which to avoid it.
(3) A person given to taking what is not given has abstention from taking what is not given by which to avoid it.
(4) A person given to unchastity has chastity by which to avoid it.
(5) A person given to false speech has abstention from false speech by which to avoid it.
(6) A person given to malicious speech has abstention from malicious speech by which to avoid it.
(7) A person given to harsh speech has abstention from harsh speech by which to avoid it.
(8) A person given to gossip has abstention from gossip by which to avoid it.
(9) A person given to covetousness has non-covetousness by which to avoid it.
(10) A person given to thoughts of ill will has non-ill will by which to avoid it.
(11) A person given to wrong view has right view by which to avoid it.
(12) A person given to wrong intention has right intention by which to avoid it.
(13) A person given to wrong speech has right speech by which to avoid it.
(14) A person given to wrong action has right action by which to avoid it.
(15) A person given to wrong livelihood has right livelihood by which to avoid it.
(16) A person given to wrong effort has right effort by which to avoid it.
(17) A person given to wrong mindfulness has right mindfulness by which to avoid it.
(18) A person given to wrong concentration has right concentration by which to avoid it.
(19) A person given to wrong knowledge has right knowledge by which to avoid it.
(20) A person given to wrong deliverance has right deliverance by which to avoid it.
(21) A person overcome by sloth and torpor has freedom from sloth and torpor by which to avoid it.
(22) A person given to agitation has non-agitation by which to avoid it.
(23) A person given to doubting has freedom from doubt by which to avoid it.
(24) A person given to anger has freedom from anger by which to avoid it.
(25) A person given to hostility has freedom from hostility by which to avoid it.
(26) A person given to denigrating has non-denigrating by which to avoid it.
(27) A person given to domineering has non-domineering by which to avoid it.
(28) A person given to envy has non-envy by which to avoid it.
(29) A person given to jealousy has non-jealousy by which to avoid it.
(30) A person given to fraud has non-fraud by which to avoid it.
(31) A person given to hypocrisy has non-hypocrisy by which to avoid it.
(32) A person given to obstinacy has non-obstinacy by which to avoid it.
(33) A person given to arrogance has non-arrogance by which to avoid it.
(34) A person difficult to admonish has amenability by which to avoid it.
(35) A person given to making bad friends has making good friends by which to avoid it.
(36) A person given to negligence has heedfulness by which to avoid it.
(37) A person given to faithlessness has faith by which to avoid it.
(38) A person given to shamelessness has shame by which to avoid it.
(39) A person without conscience has conscience by which to avoid it.
(40) A person without learning has acquisition of great learning by which to avoid it.
(41) A person given to idleness has energetic endeavor by which to avoid it.
(42) A person without mindfulness has the establishment of mindfulness by which to avoid it.
(43) A person without wisdom has wisdom by which to avoid it.
(44) A person given to misapprehending according to his individual views, to holding on to them tenaciously and not discarding them easily, has non-misapprehension of individual views, non-holding on tenaciously and ease in discarding by which to avoid it.

At first it seems like Buddha is saying just do the opposite and the defilement will be avoided. At first this seemed a bit trite--obviously if I do not crave the chocolate cake, then I will avoid craving and eating an overabundance of cake. In thinking about the 44 these past days, I realized that in practicing wholesome states by recognizing unwholesome states and immediately replacing unwholesome states of mind with wholesome states of mind, that just by doing the opposite--the practice of not craving makes one crave less and less. To me that's a precious gem I get from the sutta.

So, I continually replace craving with non-craving by acknowledging -- this is not me, this is not mine, I am not this desire, and asking what aspect of the self desires, I can avoid craving, because I am strengthening the non-craving state again and again.

It sure requires a moment by moment awareness of what arises and the ability to have enough space around one to redirect what arises--of course this should only take seconds to redirect, so mindfulness is key and also having time each day to meditate and study really helps the mind be in a "ready" state all day.

I find that on those days that are filled with meetings and lots of social activities, I lose my way and am not as aware of what mind states are arising. Part of my practice is try and preserve time out each day--even though I get some raised eyebrows from the relatives and friends. Trying to juggle... :juggling:

Sher

Sher

Postby Sher » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Regarding ānāpāna and vipassanā one should see .

Regarding the the Mahāsī Sayādaw's discourse may be helpful.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

mindfullmom

Postby mindfullmom » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm confused about jhana also. It seems to me it is a description of the Buddha's direct experience on his path to enlightment. Over the thousands of years since then, it seems to also match the experience of countless others on their
path to enlightment. But everyone's direct experience is different. This is where my confusion lies: if you are using these jhanas to measure your own progress on the path you may end up boxing yourself into meeting the expectations of someone else's experience and then your experience is not really your own. Wow, as i just typed that sentence I realized, no experience is really our own when we apply this very sutta 'this is not mine, I am not this,this is not myself". I guess this sutta just cleared up a part of my own confusion! When I direct my attention in this way, I can clearly see that those 5 aggregates that I call "myself" are dependant upon preceeding causes and they can not be called "mine" in any way.

But here is my question. If you focus on the jhanas, they may become part of your experience because you were exposed to them. If you don't learn of them or focus on them, will you still experience them naturally? I would think so? When I read them I'm not sure where I am.

Any thoughts?

Return to “Study Group”