False emotions and Vocal acrobatics

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: False emotions and Vocal acrobatics

Postby appicchato » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:36 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Shall I scream aversion at the top of my lungs?

Wait 'till I grab my earplugs... :pig:
appicchato

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:37 pm

After reading some of the posts in this thread and other music related threads, I am glad I have pretty much given up on music listening altogether. No, I am not saying anything about any great attainments, I still have some enjoyment from some sense pleasures such as some food and art, but music is at least gone from my cravings. And thank goodness for that!

:jedi: :meditate:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Journey » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:05 pm

I enjoy music but no longer crave it.

"Desire ultimately breeds fear and sorrow, but renunciation gives fearlessness and joy.

Just as perception influences thought, so thought can influence perception.

The Buddha does not offer as a solution the method of repression — the attempt to drive desire away with a mind full of fear and loathing. This approach does not resolve the problem but only pushes it below the surface, where it continues to thrive. The tool the Buddha holds out to free the mind from desire is understanding. Real renunciation is not a matter of compelling ourselves to give up things still inwardly cherished, but of changing our perspective on them so that they no longer bind us. When we understand the nature of desire, when we investigate it closely with keen attention, desire falls away by itself, without need for struggle."

http://www.buddhachannel.tv/portail/spip.php?article5474
Journey

Postby Annapurna » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:33 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Annabel,

Annabel wrote:I was actually wondering, after you expressed dislike for Michael Jackson's music, if you are a classical music fan, because those often have a distinct aversion against "jungle music". :smile:

That's franky absurd, Anna. I think you know it too. (for the record, I'm not a big classical music fan either... though it's alright)

Annabel wrote:It appears to me as if you are still trying to come to grips with "aversion", and also with enjoyment= pleasure.

I still can't fathom how you cannot differentiate between not being a fan of something and aversion. Do you like every song, every movie, every book, every piece of artwork ever created? Surely not, but that doesn't mean you need to feel aversion towards those things you don't like, does it? It just doesn't interest you... doesn't float your boat, as it were. Aversion is an unwholesome mindstate (a specific term with a specific meaning) which causes suffering. If I had aversion towards ever song I don't like, I think I would be insane by now. Are you seeing the difference yet?

Annabel wrote:Are you a practising artist?

I've made a bit of music in my time but I wouldn't call myself an "artist" - I just like music.

For me, the artistic integrity of the performer, is quite a significant factor too. Often those performers feel the same way too

Annabel wrote:As long as it feels right, artists will sing what they created, (ballett dancers will dance "Swanlake",) because it is a part of their art, is part of their history, and why deny that?

Sure, I'm not saying they can't... it just doesn't float my boat. They can do what they want for all I care. It's just not what I'll be getting into.

Annabel wrote:PS: Mariah and Whitney don't sing anything that I would want to buy either. ... :D

Shall I scream aversion at the top of my lungs? No.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Annabel wrote:I was actually wondering, after you expressed dislike for Michael Jackson's music, if you are a classical music fan, because those often have a distinct aversion against "jungle music". :smile:

That's franky absurd, Anna. I think you know it too. (for the record, I'm not a big classical music fan either... though it's alright)

No, Retro, I'm serious.

Almost all the people know either go for classical , OR they like modern Music.

Few, like my brother and I, like both.

That is my experience, maybe yours is different? But that doesn't make mine absurd...
I still can't fathom how you cannot differentiate between not being a fan of something and aversion. Do you like every song, every movie, every book, every piece of artwork ever created? Surely not, but that doesn't mean you need to feel aversion towards those things you don't like, does it? It just doesn't interest you... doesn't float your boat, as it were. Aversion is an unwholesome mindstate (a specific term with a specific meaning) which causes suffering. If I had aversion towards ever song I don't like, I think I would be insane by now. Are you seeing the difference yet?

Yes, I do. Initially, you came across a bit different , in the MJ thread, but if you say you don't feel aversion, it just "doesn't float your boat", I believe you. (Nice term, btw, didn't know it....:smile: )

Annabel wrote:PS: Mariah and Whitney don't sing anything that I would want to buy either. ... :D

Shall I scream aversion at the top of my lungs? No.

;) It's more that I don't even buy the music that would really 'float my boat'.

I love that term.... :jumping:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:40 pm

TheDhamma wrote:After reading some of the posts in this thread and other music related threads, I am glad I have pretty much given up on music listening altogether. No, I am not saying anything about any great attainments, I still have some enjoyment from some sense pleasures such as some food and art, but music is at least gone from my cravings. And thank goodness for that!

:jedi: :meditate:

Same here. I bought 2 or 3 CDs in my whole life...
Annapurna

Postby appicchato » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 pm

Annabel wrote:Almost all the people know either go for classical , OR they like modern Music.

Hi Annabel,

With six billion people in the world (and counting) you may (or may not) wish to reconsider your basis for comparison...
appicchato

Postby Annapurna » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Appiachato, what can I say.

If you believe the human beings in my part of the world are very different from the rest of the world, perhaps you are right.
Annapurna

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Any further off-topic posts will be removed without warning.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Lounge