How are you today?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Viscid

How are you today?

Post by Viscid »

Hey! How are you?
Good? Bad? Content? Miserable?
What's going on in your life?

I noticed there wasn't a thread for people to talk about their lives casually, so here it is.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Viscid

Re: How are you today?

Post by Viscid »

Not sure how enthusiastic people are about sharing what's going on in their lives over the Internet, but I imagine there are those who have few avenues of expression.. I invite anyone to share and discuss whatever they feel is important within their lives.. or not.

Myself: I've been trying to integrate meditation back into my routine since the beginning of this year-- a New Year's resolution. It hasn't been easy, as I had become rather disillusioned with the practice-- I sometimes wondered why I bothered. Initially, meditation seemed mysterious, romantic.. a pandora's box of potential benefit upon my life.. now it's.. well just boring ol' meditation. I still admire the practice though, and think it's important for self-control and self-knowledge.. you just have to be truly serious about it.

I'm having issues with motivation.. the job I do is not awful, however, it can be done by any high-school graduate. I went to school for Computer Networking, but got so comfortable with the job I am doing now that I can't get myself to strive for a job in my field. Now I'm sort of stuck, and I'm getting older (approaching 30) so I may be running out of opportunities. But otherwise my life is okay.
poto

Post by poto »

I'm doing alright...

Everyone in my family has come down with that rather nasty flu that seems to be going around. Of course, nobody listens to me... nobody takes my advice of drinking lots of tea, doing yoga, meditation, etc., seriously. So, I alone remain healthy and unaffected by this illness while everyone else suffers from it. I used to get annoyed that people wouldn't listen to me and would continue on the path that lead them to more suffering, but these days I just try to let it go.

I too have had times where I've slacked in my practice. At those times I find myself slipping, I notice my mind isn't as clear, I'm quicker to anger and generally unhappier. The newness of meditation wore off for me a very long time ago, now days I keep it up because it makes me a better person. Still have a lot of improvement to do to that end, but I'm working on it, a bit at a time.

As for jobs... I kind of take a different view on that these days. I've had the chance to work lots of different jobs and slaved away for years, also owned/ran my own small businesses at times. I sacrificed a lot just to make more money over the years. I've come to the conclusion that the extra money sometimes isn't worth it. Living the good life doesn't mean being a millionaire or being super successful. Really, I'd rather work an honest job and have more time for my practice, and try to live a good life rather than strive for money or status. That said, if you're unhappy with your present job it's never too late for a career change.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm doing well thanks... I'm actually going on a date with a really lovely person tomorrow, and it's a bit exciting.

:woohoo:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Good luck!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Ha, yeah, thanks. I'll see how it goes. I'll just be myself - that's the only sensible and honest way to do these things...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

retrofuturist wrote:Ha, yeah, thanks. I'll see how it goes. I'll just be myself - that's the only sensible and honest way to do these things...
I don't know you very well, but judging from your Facebook and posts on here, I can't imagine anyone finding much fault in you. You look like a great guy, a great father, and I'm sure you'll have no problem finding the right partner.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hot
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/ ... fresh+View" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

:hello:

I'm doing fine. Been studying a lot of math and trying to read the Samyutta Nikaya in its entirety.
retrofuturist wrote:I'm actually going on a date with a really lovely person tomorrow, and it's a bit exciting.

I hope it goes better than the last date I had. My experiences with people have made renunciation much easier to practice. Thank god for Buddhism.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

cooran wrote:Hot
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/ ... fresh+View" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

mettafuture wrote::hello:

I'm doing fine. Been studying a lot of math and trying to read the Samyutta Nikaya in its entirety.
retrofuturist wrote:I'm actually going on a date with a really lovely person tomorrow, and it's a bit exciting.

I hope it goes better than the last date I had. My experiences with people have made renunciation much easier to practice. Thank god for Buddhism.
Are you majoring in mathematics? :)

I'm doing fine. Pretty good, actualy, but I can't give details.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I'm on day 17 of a sickness; it began with the flu, and as that died off a cold arose, made worse by the horrible inversion in Salt Lake City of late. This morning sees me coming out of the woods. Maybe I'll get the flu shot next time.

Luckily, given the holidays, the end result is only about three days taken off of work, and since there were ample sick days saved up there shouldn't be any problems... but, the boss and one or two cow-orkers are probably going to be resentful for a while, so the work environment is going to be fairly stressful going forward, for a time at least.

Livelihood is such a bugbear...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Im ok -

just want to say about the flu : whenever i feel weak or people are sick around me i eat garlic - and lots of it -
at least some of it fresh not cooked - i heared two things are good about it - that it "burns" that germs on the throat (thats why i think some of it should be uncooked) and that it makes the body make more white blood cells
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Are you majoring in mathematics? :)
I wish. :) I'm just involved in some machine learning research projects, and I have to brush up on a lot of math to read and implement the algorithms.
SDC

Post by SDC »

daverupa wrote:I'm on day 17 of a sickness; it began with the flu, and as that died off a cold arose, made worse by the horrible inversion in Salt Lake City of late.
Sorry about your illness, Dave.

SLC, huh? Great skiing just up the road from you. I'm very jealous.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3