Thing i lack and seeking a way out!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
123ertyy

Thing i lack and seeking a way out!

Post by 123ertyy »

Hello there people,

Just dropped by my favorite forum to get advice on what i figured about my self, its that i never get to store anything in my memory... i keep losing almost every bit of information that i need to store in my head. anyway i can fix this? will meditation help on this situation? Nope im not that old ;)
We die someday.
cooran

Re: Thing i lack and seeking a way out!

Post by cooran »

Have you had a check-up from your doctor? It could be vitamin deficiency, high levels of stress, or something more serious. See your doctor for advice.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
corrine

Post by corrine »

You mention that you are not that old. What does that mean? I am old but my memory issues began when I was around 49, which to me is not old. And I hated it. Over the years I have worked very hard on this and found out a number of things. One is that sometimes it is a medical thing in that certain deficiencies worsen this problem. A lot of vegetarians who are not careful have vitamin B issues. One doc told me that low D can also be a contributor to memory issues. And there are others. I am on a lot of supplements now because it turned out that I did have B and D issues and, because I have moderate macular degeneration, I am on the areds 2 protocol which includes very high doses of several things.

Then there was the 'not paying enough attention' thing. I have always multi tasked and one doc told me that the mind does not handle this as well as we get older so it is important to cut that out and actually pay real attention to what I am doing in the present moment. I work at this daily.

All in all, I am much better. Whether it is the supplements or focusing or what I do not know, but there are things that will help this. Starting with a check up would be a good thing. Meditation helps me because it teaches me to focus and let go of all of the many things that are flying around my brain at any given time, the juggling of which adds to memory impairment. Particularly if you are young, try to get to the bottom of this now before it gets really bad. These things do not remedy themselves. We have to pay attention and take action. I wish you luck with this.

corrine
123ertyy

Post by 123ertyy »

Thanks for your kind words, i will look into them. 8-)
We die someday.
poto

Post by poto »

I've had memory issues too xD

Assuming you are eating right as others have mentioned, the next thing I would do is look into playing some brain games. Your brain needs exercise to stay sharp, and adding a few minutes of brain games along with a daily meditation practice can help a lot.

There are a number of free brain games out there. I'm fond of this one:
http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/

A bit of googling will turn up a plethora of other brain games out there.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Also don't forget physical exercises. Start running or jogging. Not only they give a good boost to your immune system but also to your memory.. ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ ... ell-growth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
123ertyy

Post by 123ertyy »

brain games, i tried- i got a monkeymind so im tryin to get back to them ;)

Btw i am a vegeterian for the last 10 years... maybe this must be the issue as corraine & cooran said.... thanks for your suggestions guys :D

poto have u overcome the issue u had?
We die someday.
poto

Post by poto »

123ertyy wrote: poto have u overcome the issue u had?
My memory has improved over the last few years, but it's not nearly as good as I feel it should be.

I still have a hard time remembering things like people's names. And I have to make lists when I go grocery shopping or I will always forget something.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a photographic memory, but I just work with what I've got...
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
123ertyy

Post by 123ertyy »

poto wrote:
My memory has improved over the last few years, but it's not nearly as good as I feel it should be.

I still have a hard time remembering things like people's names. And I have to make lists when I go grocery shopping or I will always forget something.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a photographic memory, but I just work with what I've got...
Oh im hoping you the best to get where you need to be :) Cheers!
We die someday.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

What meditative practice do you do?
have you tried just memorising one of the short texts related to it?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
poto

Post by poto »

123ertyy wrote:
poto wrote:

Oh im hoping you the best to get where you need to be :) Cheers!
Thanks, hope I was of some help. :)