Computer help!!!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Cittasanto

Computer help!!!

Post by Cittasanto »

recently my computer has decided to intermitently change how it works. It refuses to type and opens up windows, or new pages without anything being done differently. I have no idea what it is doing but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Mr Man

Re: Computer help!!!

Post by Mr Man »

I would try rhis: http://www.malwarebytes.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (at your own risk).
poto

Post by poto »

There was a zero-day exploit for java that was released recently. I'd look into that, and disable java if you haven't done so already.

If it's bricked, then I'd just wipe and reinstall.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

and before I forget,
it seams to stop when I press the shift ctrl Fn start menu key thing and alt on the left side twice each?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

poto wrote:There was a zero-day exploit for java that was released recently. I'd look into that, and disable java if you haven't done so already.

thanks but how do I do that?
{Edit- I have java extensions 6.0.33 & 6.0.37 on my firefox

John Stuart Mill
poto

Post by poto »

Cittasanto wrote:
poto wrote:There was a zero-day exploit for java that was released recently. I'd look into that, and disable java if you haven't done so already.

thanks but how do I do that?
Here's instructions for disabling java on various browsers:
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/636312#solution

But if you're already infected with something you'll either need a decent anti-virus program or just have to reformat and reinstall your OS. I prefer to do a clean install myself.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Reinstall the OS, basically. You'd be making the computer have amnesia.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Install Malwarebytes, if you still can. Restart the computer. As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8. Choose SAFE MODE.
Once windows is running in safe mode, scan the computer using malware bytes.
And then any other antivirus software you have.
That got rid of a couple of viruses I got recently.
Best wishes.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11