Computer help!!!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Computer help!!!

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:38 pm

recently my computer has decided to intermitently change how it works. It refuses to type and opens up windows, or new pages without anything being done differently. I have no idea what it is doing but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Computer help!!!

Postby Mr Man » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:42 pm

I would try rhis: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (at your own risk).
Mr Man

Postby poto » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:42 pm

There was a zero-day exploit for java that was released recently. I'd look into that, and disable java if you haven't done so already.

If it's bricked, then I'd just wipe and reinstall.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
poto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:45 pm

and before I forget,
it seams to stop when I press the shift ctrl Fn start menu key thing and alt on the left side twice each?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:46 pm

poto wrote:There was a zero-day exploit for java that was released recently. I'd look into that, and disable java if you haven't done so already.

thanks but how do I do that?
{Edit- I have java extensions 6.0.33 & 6.0.37 on my firefox
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby poto » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 pm

Cittasanto wrote:
poto wrote:There was a zero-day exploit for java that was released recently. I'd look into that, and disable java if you haven't done so already.

thanks but how do I do that?

Here's instructions for disabling java on various browsers:
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/636312#solution

But if you're already infected with something you'll either need a decent anti-virus program or just have to reformat and reinstall your OS. I prefer to do a clean install myself.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
poto

Postby daverupa » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 pm

Reinstall the OS, basically. You'd be making the computer have amnesia.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby James the Giant » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:08 pm

Install Malwarebytes, if you still can. Restart the computer. As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8. Choose SAFE MODE.
Once windows is running in safe mode, scan the computer using malware bytes.
And then any other antivirus software you have.
That got rid of a couple of viruses I got recently.
Best wishes.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Return to Lounge