Photos of Malas

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Sylvester

Photos of Malas

Post by Sylvester »

This is dedicated to the times when I used my malas for assorted reasons -

Copy of an original Tang-era mala (8th c) used in a now-lost Avalokitesvara tantra, preserved in Japan from the original diplomatic mission to China. Used by me to adorn myself when visiting a monk at the opening of his new funeral centre.
Sylvester

Photos of Malas

Post by Sylvester »

My favourite disco mala, at the height of Dolce & Gabbana's infatuation with the Catholic rosary as accessory -

In soft black coral that fluoresced under the UV lights. I was divine!
Sylvester

Photos of Malas

Post by Sylvester »

Copy of a Qing-era courtier's mala.

I heard the Prime Minister was guest of honour at the wedding, so I HAD to wear something fetching and civil-servant like.
Sylvester

Photos of Malas

Post by Sylvester »

A mala for keeping count of the Moraparitta...

Bakmoon

Photos of Malas

Post by Bakmoon »

Sylvester wrote:This is dedicated to the times when I used my malas for assorted reasons -

Copy of an original Tang-era mala (8th c) used in a now-lost Avalokitesvara tantra, preserved in Japan from the original diplomatic mission to China. Used by me to adorn myself when visiting a monk at the opening of his new funeral centre.
Those Malas are beautiful! What do you chant with them if I may so ask?
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Sylvester

Re: Are Malas a form of garland?

Post by Sylvester »

Hee, hee. Of my large collection of malas, only one (the 4th post) was used to keep count of chanting. The rest were simply indulgences in the 2 āyatanā of rūpa and phoṭṭhabba (plus the occassional gandha, if some nice Aquilaria beads came our way). It was a ferocious competition between me and monastics on who could come out with the better creation, while sticking faithfully to historical precedents (eg the 1st post). Due to our pioneering efforts a decade back, our mala maker has achieved some fame in the PRC and Japan, finding patronage even in Jiang Zemin.

And yes quite a few of his malas have even been donated to the Drubwang Rinpoche to be ritually flung into some chasm or another.... None of that wastage for me, of course.
plwk

Re: Photos of Malas

Post by plwk »

:thumbsup: I must start posting mine here too :tongue:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Sylvester/Bakmoon/Plwk,

I love love your meditation malas very much...they're so pretty.

I have 1 Sodalite beads mala

1 Unakite beads mala

I bought them when Tep/I stopped for lunch at Arizona....I bought them as 2 bead strings...I had to tie them as 2 malas by myself...they are so beautiful and so cool/smooth to touch ...when meditate, I chant Buddho 1 , Buddho 2....so on...until the last bead of the mala...then start Buddho 1 2 3....again.

:heart: Love malas,
yawares :heart: :anjali:
Raitanator

Post by Raitanator »

Where do you guys get those rudraksha-malas?
yawares

Post by yawares »

Raitanator wrote:Where do you guys get those rudraksha-malas?
-------
Dear Raitanator,

If you travel to states that have so many mountains : New Mexico/Arizona/Nevada/Dakota etc. you'll find so many souvenir stands along the highways...and you can choose many kind of gemstones: Sodalite/Jasper/Lapis/Malachite/rose quartz/Unakite...all are beautiful...cheaper in strings...but you can buy many color gemstone strings and mix them together into 1 mala....so cool !! OR YOU CAN BUY ONLINE @amazon.com (bead necklaces/bracelet)...round beads 10mm are the good size for me..easy to count when chanting :anjali:

For Rudraksha-malas...just type 'rudraksha-malas' @ yahoo search ...and you'll see many malas to buy!! :jumping:

Good luck!
yawares :jumping:
Raitanator

Post by Raitanator »

Thanks for the tip Yawares. I ordered one from amazon.de, I hope it turns out to be real thing and not plastic scheisse.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Raitanator wrote:Thanks for the tip Yawares. I ordered one from amazon.de, I hope it turns out to be real thing and not plastic scheisse.
Dear Raitanator,

Oh please don't worry ...amazon.com :twothumbsup: ....I bought so many things from amazon...once I bought a laptop battery that not compatible with my laptop...I emailed to tell them my problem and CUSTOMER SERVICE person was so nice to offer exchange or refund as I want....'AMAZON.COM' LOVES TO SATISFY CUSTOMERS!!

So if you don't like your mala...just email...'no satisfaction' with reason....

No Satisfaction! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eJ5mtCyHSw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares :thinking:
alan...

Post by alan... »

Image this is pretty much the one i have, slight difference in the knot and mine is 8mm beads. i got it just because i thought it was hip although i never use it since its not mentioned in the canon. i tried making time for chanting "metta" and trying to generate metta with each bead for awhile but i fell out of practice. wearing it out and about in daily life feels odd so it sits in a drawer.