Too many male mods here and no woman section

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
alan...

Re: Too many male mods here and no woman section

Post by alan... »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
alan... wrote:those rules were only created so the buddha and his sangha wouldn't be washed away in a flood of outrage for having allowed women to ordain. today he wouldn't have made those rules but back then women were considered lesser than men and allowing them to ordain was a huge deal, he created those rules just to keep the peace. even so, he was still showing major compassion and was super progressive for 500 BC.
Off topic, I know, but I'm interested about this idea that the Buddha wouldn't have set the same vinaya rules now as he did then, and the reasons put forward to explain why. Could anyone point me at some relevant reading about this idea?
"life of the buddha according to the pali canon" by bhikkhu nanamoli. most of the rules are covered in there in a section called "formation of the order of nuns."
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

alan... wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote:
alan... wrote:those rules were only created so the buddha and his sangha wouldn't be washed away in a flood of outrage for having allowed women to ordain. today he wouldn't have made those rules but back then women were considered lesser than men and allowing them to ordain was a huge deal, he created those rules just to keep the peace. even so, he was still showing major compassion and was super progressive for 500 BC.
Off topic, I know, but I'm interested about this idea that the Buddha wouldn't have set the same vinaya rules now as he did then, and the reasons put forward to explain why. Could anyone point me at some relevant reading about this idea?
"life of the buddha according to the pali canon" by bhikkhu nanamoli. most of the rules are covered in there in a section called "formation of the order of nuns."
Great, thank you
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

alan... wrote: as far as your order: "Let's not worry like that, Alan". some posts of the women on here would end up in the womens only forum and would not be seen by me. this is a fact. not all of them but this would create threads not visible to me or depending on how it works, threads that i wouldn't be able to share in the discussion. and surely, as much as on the regular forum, some would be fantastic and i would be missing out by not being able to see them or be involved in them, as well as the rest of the men. this would be a shame as i want to be able to hear what everyone has to say. and it is something to worry about. so i reject your order and retain my freedom to worry how i please.
I'm sorry if I thought that the scenario that you've made was quite implausible... and not only that, you even went as far as calling it a fact. You don't see anything wrong with this?
alan...

Post by alan... »

beeblebrox wrote:
alan... wrote: as far as your order: "Let's not worry like that, Alan". some posts of the women on here would end up in the womens only forum and would not be seen by me. this is a fact. not all of them but this would create threads not visible to me or depending on how it works, threads that i wouldn't be able to share in the discussion. and surely, as much as on the regular forum, some would be fantastic and i would be missing out by not being able to see them or be involved in them, as well as the rest of the men. this would be a shame as i want to be able to hear what everyone has to say. and it is something to worry about. so i reject your order and retain my freedom to worry how i please.
I'm sorry if I thought that the scenario that you've made up here was quite implausible... and not only that, you even went as far as calling it a fact. You don't see anything wrong with this?
if there is a woman only section, some women will use it. perhaps not an absolute fact but close to it. what are the odds that no women would use it???

okay so 99.9999% chance that there will be at least one thread in the womens only section and i won't be able to see/interact with it and that's lame. happy now?

in all actuality it would be used frequently and there would be plenty of threads and i wouldn't be happy about not being able to see/interact with them. why are you making this so difficult? do you really think that this idea is totally outlandish? if there is the creation of a womens only forum do you think it would be totally unused? or perhaps you are implying that there wouldn't be any threads worth reading or interacting with?

i'm at a loss as to what you're trying to prove. especially with all your talk about the separation of men and women in real life and how it's happening and is bursting my bubble or whatever, which seemed to imply that my statement that differences between men and women are delusion is untrue.
alan... wrote:all differences are delusion
beeblebrox wrote:Hi Alan, I think that we should take care that we don't live in clouds.
i was saying i think men and women are the same and you seem to be implying otherwise. how do you feel about it? is this kind of thing good? should bhikkhunis be more or less subordinate to bhikkhus? i obviously think this idea is abhorrent but i'm wondering where you're coming from since you don't seem to like my stance on the situation(s).
Last edited by alan... on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

So, you think that you won't be able to see these threads, and that you won't be able to participate in them? You know this for a fact, how?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Alan,
just to point something out, the suggestion was not for an invisible area rather for "an area where female members cnas share some women issues in an atmosphere that we decide, perhaps we self-moderate sisterly, an area where men and male mods are heartily invited guests, to read and participate, but not welcome to domineer any discussions, as it is can happen now"
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I think this particular suggestion has now run its course...

Some good points and have been made throughout the topic and I think we can leave it there.

Thank you everyone for your participation, thoughts and suggestions.

May all beings be happy ~ regardless of the conventional divisions we may allow to come between us.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."