Chinese dog refuses to leave dead owner's graveside

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

Chinese dog refuses to leave dead owner's graveside

Post by plwk »

A dog in China who was the only companion to a single resident has refused to leave him even after his death.
Lao Pan, 68, died earlier this month in the village of Panjiatun.
His dog was found later at his grave, refusing to leave even after seven days without food.
The BBC's Xiaoyun Yao reports.
More here
tiltbillings

Re: Chinese dog refuses to leave dead owner's graveside

Post by tiltbillings »

Dogs are good.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

:)
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

Whatever his other qualities (or lack thereof) might be, this dog has in abundance, the quality of loyalty.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Some animals can be very loyal to their human friends and to each other and have very endearing qualities in general.
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Dogs really are good.

I saw this this morning on our sibling site, DharmaWheel. I can say without reservation I cried a bit like a little girl. :cry: I'm still trying to understand why I can see a hospice death video or training and not have the same visceral reaction as when I see something like this:

http://youtu.be/2XJO7zMQ3mk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[html]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2XJO7zMQ3m ... r_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/html]
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear "plwk"/Buddhasoup,

I love your dog stories, very touching! In reverse...I'm the one who's loyal to my dog!
My beloved Fluffy looked just like this cute dog!

Fluffy( Pomeranian Poodle) was my daughter's dog, we bought him when he was a little puppy. We loved this cute playful tiny dog so very much, he traveled with us everywhere, even when we were rowing a boat in the Huntsville Lake where he jumped into the lake, luckily he could swim quite well.

Those days I/Fluffy drove my daughter to school/back home, he loved to be in the car watching out the window. My daughter walked with Fluffy whenever she had time, she always bought him a beautiful bling-bling collar for his birthdays. Fluffy loved to eat honey-roasted-duck, he would jump up/down whenever I cooked roasted-duck.The love we had for Fluffy was so deep...I cried when Fluffy died peacefully with tears in his eyes at 14 yrs old. The way he looked at me during his last moment still haunted me.

I put Fluffy in his small grave with a redstone head between the redpink-Oleander-trees in our backyard, so he could have flowers all spring/summer/fall.

***In this case, I'm the loyal one..I visit his grave almost everyday and miss him so much as I take care of my backyard/trim my plants/take care of my garden.

:heart: We so love Fluffy/wish him reborn in a happy world :heart:
yawares/sirikanya :heart:
Folia

Post by Folia »

Aloka wrote:Some animals can be very loyal to their human friends and to each other and have very endearing qualities in general.
Aloka

How can we distinguish between loyalty & self-cherishing?

Thank you

Folia :candle:
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Folia wrote: How can we distinguish between loyalty & self-cherishing?
Loyalty generally manifests some altruistic actions. Self cherishing does not.
The two seem completely different to me... can you explain how they could be in any way similar?
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Folia wrote:
Aloka wrote:Some animals can be very loyal to their human friends and to each other and have very endearing qualities in general.
Aloka

How can we distinguish between loyalty & self-cherishing?

Thank you

Folia :candle:
Hi Folia,

I'm not quite sure why you're asking this - but firstly, what do those two words mean to you ?

with kind wishes,

Aloka
Folia

Post by Folia »

Aloka wrote:I'm not quite sure why you're asking this - but firstly, what do those two words mean to you ?
Aloka

I am thinking there may be self-interest in loyalty.

:candle:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Folia wrote:
Aloka wrote:I'm not quite sure why you're asking this - but firstly, what do those two words mean to you ?
Aloka

Self interest is not necessarily a bad thing. The Buddha more than once advocated it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Folia

Post by Folia »

tiltbillings wrote:Self interest is not necessarily a bad thing. The Buddha more than once advocated it.
Thank you Tiltbillings

Are you able to post some examples to read?

Is there good self-interest & naughty self-interest?

:heart:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Folia wrote:
Aloka

Are you talking about dogs - or human beings ?
Folia

Post by Folia »

Aloka wrote:Are you talking about dogs - or human beings ?
I think what I am talking about can apply to both, unless dogs do not have a self. Does Buddhism teach dogs have a self? Does a guard dog have a self? If not, what makes a guard dog loyal to its owner, protect its owner property and make the dog bite others but not its owner? Does a good dog bite its owner?

Thank you