Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Post by tiltbillings »

BuddhaSoup wrote:. . . That's the sound of Jillette planting a big one on David Koch's butt.
That also explains the defense of Wal-Mart and the arguing against gun control. They arewithout a doubt Bozos.

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Tilt, I can say I have not noticed until today the Irish at the foot of your post. Excellent! Go raibh maith agat! I spent the best summer and autumn of my life as a student in Dublin.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

BuddhaSoup wrote:...the science of climate change....
mere statistical analysis is not necessarily science
Ben

Post by Ben »

I would appreciate it if we could remain on-topic.
Thanks

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

BuddhaSoup wrote:Michael Parenti, featured in the video, is in part an apologist for communism, suggesting that he and Jillette may share an affinity for Communist regimes like the PRC.
Doesn't fit Jillete's "profile."
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Ben wrote:I would appreciate it if we could remain on-topic.
Thanks

Ben
in the lounge?
plus,it's a counter to BuddhaSoup's ad hominem aguainst Jillete, which goes directly to the OP
Ben

Post by Ben »

danieLion wrote:
Ben wrote:I would appreciate it if we could remain on-topic.
Thanks

Ben
in the lounge?
plus,it's a counter to BuddhaSoup's ad hominem aguainst Jillete, which goes directly to the OP
Yes, even in the lounge.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

danieLion wrote:
BuddhaSoup wrote:Michael Parenti, featured in the video, is in part an apologist for communism, suggesting that he and Jillette may share an affinity for Communist regimes like the PRC.
Penn is still a jerk.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

danieLion wrote:
From what I have read about Penn and his interest I would agree. I imagine what unites them are strong anti-religious views.
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

I'd make the argument, not to be argumentative, that the affinity for the PRC does fit this Cato profile.

China today is all about unmitigated 'free market' capitalism, with only a facade of traditional communism. It is hardly the communism from the Soviet era, but a financially driven totalitarianism bent on high production, high pollution, high acquisition, with a goal toward regional and global dominance. How many Russian products did your family buy in the 1970's ? Today, who made the trainers you're wearing right now? I'd say the Koch brothers and the Chinese authorities make good bedfellows.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

But is Parenti an apologist for "olld style" communism or the present Chinese regime?
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Mr Man wrote:But is Parenti an apologist for "olld style" communism or the present Chinese regime?
Good point. From what little I've read of Parenti, he's favorable to certain aspects of traditional communism, and critical of aspects that have manifested in the modern PRC.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

As may of you know, I have been a professional magician, hypnotist and mentalist for more than thirty-five years. I have had the displeasure of knowing P&T since they hit the scene in the 80s. Penn Jillete has the emotional maturity and social graces of a spoiled 12 year old, Ray Teller is a little bit better, he's cultured and literate but still a bigot when it comes to spiritual and metaphysical matters. Both are howling atheists without the slightest shred of respect for anyone else's belief systems. They've built a fan base among the cynical, the hard-edged and the know-it-alls. The stories are legion about their callous behavior toward audience members and random people they encounter, and of fellow show-business people.

In other words, they're both total d-bags. Their opinions on anything mean nothing to me. I've never understood how anyone ever found them entertaining, but I don't care much for humor based on a foundation of disparaging or mocking other people,

BubB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

BuddhaSoup wrote:
I'd make the argument, not to be argumentative, that the affinity for the PRC does fit this Cato profile.

China today is all about unmitigated 'free market' capitalism, with only a facade of traditional communism. It is hardly the communism from the Soviet era, but a financially driven totalitarianism bent on high production, high pollution, high acquisition, with a goal toward regional and global dominance. How many Russian products did your family buy in the 1970's ? Today, who made the trainers you're wearing right now? I'd say the Koch brothers and the Chinese authorities make good bedfellows.
That makes more sense than what you said before. Thanks.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

I don't believe ad hominem is always inappropriate (just usually), and maybe this is one of those times it makes sense.

I'm neither a P&T fan nor a hater. I'd just never heard those things about the DL and was wondering if the de-bunkers (bozos, jerks, douchebags, etc...) needed debunking.

It's evident to me now they're committed to philosophical materialism, and Randians are, IMO, completely retarded.