Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby danieLion » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:41 am

Ben wrote:I would appreciate it if we could remain on-topic.
Thanks

Ben

in the lounge?
plus,it's a counter to BuddhaSoup's ad hominem aguainst Jillete, which goes directly to the OP
danieLion
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 am

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby Ben » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:45 am

danieLion wrote:
Ben wrote:I would appreciate it if we could remain on-topic.
Thanks

Ben

in the lounge?
plus,it's a counter to BuddhaSoup's ad hominem aguainst Jillete, which goes directly to the OP


Yes, even in the lounge.
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15795
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:46 am

danieLion wrote:
BuddhaSoup wrote:Michael Parenti, featured in the video, is in part an apologist for communism, suggesting that he and Jillette may share an affinity for Communist regimes like the PRC.

Doesn't fit Jillete's "profile."
Penn is still a jerk.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 18384
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Turtle Island

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby Mr Man » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 am

danieLion wrote:
BuddhaSoup wrote:Michael Parenti, featured in the video, is in part an apologist for communism, suggesting that he and Jillette may share an affinity for Communist regimes like the PRC.

Doesn't fit Jillete's "profile."

From what I have read about Penn and his interest I would agree. I imagine what unites them are strong anti-religious views.
User avatar
Mr Man
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby Anagarika » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Doesn't fit Jillete's "profile."


I'd make the argument, not to be argumentative, that the affinity for the PRC does fit this Cato profile.

China today is all about unmitigated 'free market' capitalism, with only a facade of traditional communism. It is hardly the communism from the Soviet era, but a financially driven totalitarianism bent on high production, high pollution, high acquisition, with a goal toward regional and global dominance. How many Russian products did your family buy in the 1970's ? Today, who made the trainers you're wearing right now? I'd say the Koch brothers and the Chinese authorities make good bedfellows.
User avatar
Anagarika
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby Mr Man » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:06 pm

But is Parenti an apologist for "olld style" communism or the present Chinese regime?
User avatar
Mr Man
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby Anagarika » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Mr Man wrote:But is Parenti an apologist for "olld style" communism or the present Chinese regime?


Good point. From what little I've read of Parenti, he's favorable to certain aspects of traditional communism, and critical of aspects that have manifested in the modern PRC.
User avatar
Anagarika
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:07 pm

As may of you know, I have been a professional magician, hypnotist and mentalist for more than thirty-five years. I have had the displeasure of knowing P&T since they hit the scene in the 80s. Penn Jillete has the emotional maturity and social graces of a spoiled 12 year old, Ray Teller is a little bit better, he's cultured and literate but still a bigot when it comes to spiritual and metaphysical matters. Both are howling atheists without the slightest shred of respect for anyone else's belief systems. They've built a fan base among the cynical, the hard-edged and the know-it-alls. The stories are legion about their callous behavior toward audience members and random people they encounter, and of fellow show-business people.

In other words, they're both total d-bags. Their opinions on anything mean nothing to me. I've never understood how anyone ever found them entertaining, but I don't care much for humor based on a foundation of disparaging or mocking other people,

BubB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
User avatar
BubbaBuddhist
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:55 am
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby danieLion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 am

BuddhaSoup wrote:
Doesn't fit Jillete's "profile."


I'd make the argument, not to be argumentative, that the affinity for the PRC does fit this Cato profile.

China today is all about unmitigated 'free market' capitalism, with only a facade of traditional communism. It is hardly the communism from the Soviet era, but a financially driven totalitarianism bent on high production, high pollution, high acquisition, with a goal toward regional and global dominance. How many Russian products did your family buy in the 1970's ? Today, who made the trainers you're wearing right now? I'd say the Koch brothers and the Chinese authorities make good bedfellows.

That makes more sense than what you said before. Thanks.
danieLion
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 am

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby danieLion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 am

I don't believe ad hominem is always inappropriate (just usually), and maybe this is one of those times it makes sense.

I'm neither a P&T fan nor a hater. I'd just never heard those things about the DL and was wondering if the de-bunkers (bozos, jerks, douchebags, etc...) needed debunking.

It's evident to me now they're committed to philosophical materialism, and Randians are, IMO, completely retarded.
danieLion
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 am

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 am

danieLion wrote:I don't believe ad hominem is always inappropriate (just usually), and maybe this is one of those times it makes sense.

I'm neither a P&T fan nor a hater. I'd just never heard those things about the DL and was wondering if the de-bunkers (bozos, jerks, douchebags, etc...) needed debunking.

It's evident to me now they're committed to philosophical materialism, and Randians are, IMO, completely retarded.
And committed to really bad argumentation to make their points. They are jerks.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 18384
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Turtle Island

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby alan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:23 am

Agreed.
alan
 
Posts: 2442
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 am
Location: Miramar beach, Fl.

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby Anagarika » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 am

That makes more sense than what you said before. Thanks.


Sometimes it takes me a few tries to make sense. :P
User avatar
Anagarika
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Penn & Teller's Bullshit: the Dalai Lama

Postby Mr Man » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:00 am

Yes they seem like douchebags but their flavour of crapola is, in my opinion, homegrown.
User avatar
Mr Man
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Zentruckdriver and 5 guests