Which sutta is this?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dhamma savaka

Which sutta is this?

Post by dhamma savaka »

Hi folks,

I remember reading several different retellings of the tale where the Buddha meets up with Mara as an "old friend" and they have tea together. Unfortunately, none of these retellings tells me which sutta this story is found in. I tried googling it but to no avail. I wanted to read the original story (I have the Wisdom Publications' DN, MN, SN, and the AN). Any help would be much appreciated!

Metta, :anjali:

Al
lojong1

Re: Which sutta is this?

Post by lojong1 »

Buddha (in the 'tea' story): "You think you, [Mara], have trouble with your disciples? Mine put words in my mouth and write them into "sutras" that I have never said."
Could it be?
dhamma savaka

Post by dhamma savaka »

Hi Lojongm

Yes that is the story! Do you know which sutta it was in?

Metta,

Al
perkele

Post by perkele »

dhamma savaka wrote:Hi Lojongm

Yes that is the story! Do you know which sutta it was in?

Metta,

Al
Are you serious? You are looking for a joke story that is poking fun at the suttas, and you think that you can find that story in the suttas?

:reading:
:shrug:
:rolleye:
:coffee:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Logjong1,

It is definitely not from a sutta.

It appears to be just a story from a Mahayana teacher:
Mara Comes for Tea - Retold from Thich Nhat Hanh's Heart of Understanding
http://voices.yahoo.com/mara-comes-tea- ... tml?cat=34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
dhamma savaka

Post by dhamma savaka »

Hi,

I know this "story" appears in Jack Kornfield's "After the Ecstasy, the Laundry" as well as Thich Nhat Hanh's "Heart of Understanding" but I'm also sure that a Theravada monk who visited my city in the past year (or two) had also brought up this story. Of course, it could just be a story, but I don't see it as a joke story that is poking fun at the suttas (though it can appear funny) but instead has a powerful message about the things we learn from our "enemies"....and that we should welcome our enemies. Seeing how I've come across other suttas that might seem "crazy" or "ridiculous", I did not reject the possibility of this story being found in the suttas. I've also read from various sources about the numerous other times that Mara tries to tempt/"visits" the Buddha.

Metta,

Al