Looking for a particular Sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Bakmoon
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:14 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Looking for a particular Sutta

Postby Bakmoon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 pm

There is a Sutta in which the Buddha is asked why he uses terms such as I, me, you, and self, and the Buddha responds that he uses these terms as conventions, but I can't remember which Sutta it is in. Anyone know?
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 5876
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: Looking for a particular Sutta

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Bakmoon wrote:There is a Sutta in which the Buddha is asked why he uses terms such as I, me, you, and self, and the Buddha responds that he uses these terms as conventions, but I can't remember which Sutta it is in. Anyone know?

Is this it?

DN9 - Potthapada Sutta wrote:"Citta, these are the world's designations, the world's expressions, the world's ways of speaking, the world's descriptions, with which the Tathagata expresses himself but without grasping to them."
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

Bakmoon
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:14 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: Looking for a particular Sutta

Postby Bakmoon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 am

Cittasanto wrote:
Bakmoon wrote:There is a Sutta in which the Buddha is asked why he uses terms such as I, me, you, and self, and the Buddha responds that he uses these terms as conventions, but I can't remember which Sutta it is in. Anyone know?

Is this it?

DN9 - Potthapada Sutta wrote:"Citta, these are the world's designations, the world's expressions, the world's ways of speaking, the world's descriptions, with which the Tathagata expresses himself but without grasping to them."


I don't think so. The one I remember was rather short.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.

User avatar
daverupa
Posts: 4532
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Looking for a particular Sutta

Postby daverupa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Bakmoon wrote:I don't think so. The one I remember was rather short.


It only occurs in the Nikayas in DN 9 and MN 74; perhaps you read Mahaniddesa 284 & 303, which quotes the occasion in MN 74.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

User avatar
ground
Posts: 2592
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:01 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Looking for a particular Sutta

Postby ground » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:48 pm

[Deva:]
He who's an Arahant, his work achieved,
Free from taints, in final body clad,
That monk still might use such words as "I."
Still perchance might say: "They call this mine."
...
Would such a monk be prone to vain conceits?

[The Blessed One:]
Bonds are gone for him without conceits,
All delusion's chains are cast aside:
Truly wise, he's gone beyond such thoughts.[1]
That monk still might use such words as "I,"
Still perchance might say: "They call this mine."
Well aware of common worldly speech,
He would speak conforming to such use.[2]

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .wlsh.html


:sage:

User avatar
daverupa
Posts: 4532
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Looking for a particular Sutta

Postby daverupa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Delightful addition! Also, perchance short enough to be the one in question...
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Bakmoon
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:14 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: Looking for a particular Sutta

Postby Bakmoon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 pm

ground wrote:
[Deva:]
He who's an Arahant, his work achieved,
Free from taints, in final body clad,
That monk still might use such words as "I."
Still perchance might say: "They call this mine."
...
Would such a monk be prone to vain conceits?

[The Blessed One:]
Bonds are gone for him without conceits,
All delusion's chains are cast aside:
Truly wise, he's gone beyond such thoughts.[1]
That monk still might use such words as "I,"
Still perchance might say: "They call this mine."
Well aware of common worldly speech,
He would speak conforming to such use.[2]

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .wlsh.html


:sage:


That's the one. Saadhu!
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.


Return to “General Theravāda discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests