No morality in opposing abortion

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Mr Man

No morality in opposing abortion

Post by Mr Man »

"Let me be direct. When you say you are against abortion because it's sinful, it's not your morality talking, it's your misogyny.

In other words, you're not driven by compassion, but by a hate for women who you think stray from the "good girl" norms."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... moralistic
Cittasanto

Re: No morality in opposing abortion

Post by Cittasanto »

Mr Man wrote:"Let me be direct. When you say you are against abortion because it's sinful, it's not your morality talking, it's your misogyny.

In other words, you're not driven by compassion, but by a hate for women who you think stray from the "good girl" norms."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... moralistic
and is that the only reason people are against abortion?
and what about women who do not support abortion in all cases?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

Hi Mr Man,
you're not driven by compassion, but by a hate for women
that's a bit of an over-generalization, isn't it?

kind regards
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Manas, Mr Man's entire post, aside from the link, is actually a quote from the article. Maybe you know that, but just in case you didn't see the end quotes.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
perkele

Post by perkele »

manas wrote:Hi Mr Man,
you're not driven by compassion, but by a hate for women
that's a bit of an over-generalization, isn't it?

kind regards
I guess that's the point Mr. Man wanted to bring across.

But as Cittasanto noticed,
the expectable reaction to that is also an over-generalization.

Stereotyping sterotypes, dangerous terrain, causing wars around the world, in the big scope and the small.

I expect not much good coming from this topic. Let's be careful.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Having worked for many years as a government employee in maternity wards, antenatal clinics, birth suites as a counsellor, I often found difficulty in working with what is legal in this country (Australia) and keeping the Precepts. I found the best way was to provide a patient requesting abortion information with information on abortion clinics, foster care, and adoption without showing a preference or an antipathy towards any of the options. The decision was then theirs to make. It is legal in this country to have an abortion under 20 weeks gestation.

With metta and karuna,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

perkele wrote:
the expectable reaction to that is also an over-generalization.

Stereotyping sterotypes, dangerous terrain, causing wars around the world, in the big scope and the small.

I expect not much good coming from this topic. Let's be careful.
what expected reaction?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I thought the article was interesting for a couple of reason - I think morality and authority + there relationship are interesting subjects for consideration. I also thought it was interesting because it was from a Thai newspaper.

The opening two sentences are thought provoking and almost provocative.
perkele

Post by perkele »

Cittasanto wrote:what expected reaction?
One expectable reaction better, which I thought you were rightly cautioning against, namely that people will first start to only argue for and against that same stance: "People are against abortion only out of misogyny."

You provided a first possible alternative:
Cittasanto wrote:and what about women who do not support abortion in all cases?
And step by step one can argue back and forth about more diversified and refined over-generalizations as well, taking into account many points of view to argue back and forth from there, and that's how it usually goes, without most people realizing that they have personally little to do with that subject, even though they engaged in that discussion with good intentions first to stop the over-generalizations. That's all I meant to say in a less overt way. I thought that's how it usually easily goes, and I wanted to caution against that. Sorry if I was not very clear.
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

An abortion is none of my business as long as it's not my baby. If it ain't my baby it's not me who is in the right position to judge.

I'd suggest that's the best solution to this "debate".
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
plwk

Post by plwk »

;)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Actually those two separate questions correlate to the two separate lines in the OP.
perkele wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:what expected reaction?
One expectable reaction better, which I thought you were rightly cautioning against, namely that people will first start to only argue for and against that same stance: "People are against abortion only out of misogyny."

You provided a first possible alternative:
Cittasanto wrote:and what about women who do not support abortion in all cases?
And step by step one can argue back and forth about more diversified and refined over-generalizations as well, taking into account many points of view to argue back and forth from there, and that's how it usually goes, without most people realizing that they have personally little to do with that subject, even though they engaged in that discussion with good intentions first to stop the over-generalizations. That's all I meant to say in a less overt way. I thought that's how it usually easily goes, and I wanted to caution against that. Sorry if I was not very clear.

John Stuart Mill
perkele

Post by perkele »

Cittasanto wrote:Actually those two separate questions correlate to the two separate lines in the OP.
Ah, I see.
Whatever.
I think it's getting ever more unlikely that other people are able to follow our communication anymore. I am quite challenged here myself at least. And it's quite irrelevant anyway. I beg you pardon.
So let's better leave it at that. :smile:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

perkele wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:Actually those two separate questions correlate to the two separate lines in the OP.
Ah, I see.
Whatever.
I think it's getting ever more unlikely that other people are able to follow our communication anymore. I am quite challenged here myself at least. And it's quite irrelevant anyway. I beg you pardon.
So let's better leave it at that. :smile:
I didn't realise there was a specific communication, or that others were following.

John Stuart Mill
perkele

Post by perkele »

Cittasanto wrote:I didn't realise there was a specific communication, or that others were following.
This being a discussion board, the point of it would be communication, I thought. And it should be relevant, and in a way that people can follow it.
Your last post in response to mine didn't seem to be relevant and I had difficulty understanding its purpose. No bad intentions. Still we are off-topic. Not that I want to go on-topic here anyway, but I'll leave it at that and go to my planet. May the force be with you!