Ajahn Sona to take 1 year retreat.

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
lojong1

Ajahn Sona to take 1 year retreat.

Post by lojong1 »

interview here: http://northwestdharma.org/nw-dharma-news-wp/?p=1481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skookum!
Polar Bear

Re: Ajahn Sona to take 1 year retreat.

Post by Polar Bear »

Sounds cool. Good for him. Hopefully he will:

In no long time enter & remain in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for himself right in the here-&-now. And know, "Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world."

:namaste:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Seconded.
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I once heard Ajahn Sona speak about the few years when he lived a hermit/ renunciate life as a lay person before ordaining. For weeks afterwards I fantacized about moving to a small cabin in the remote wilderness.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Monkey Mind wrote:For weeks afterwards I fantacized about moving to a small cabin in the remote wilderness.
years!

Brian Ruhe has put a ton of videos of Ajahn Sona up on his youtube if anyone is interested.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Good talks, even the oddball topic of deva-hearing/dibba-sota. A buddhist non-buddhist friend of mine had similar riverside-meditation hearings and developed dibbasota in daily life -- no formal jhana training, maybe a smattering of sutras or similar ideas through books and good company.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

marc108 wrote:
Monkey Mind wrote:For weeks afterwards I fantacized about moving to a small cabin in the remote wilderness.
years!...
Found the audio! (on returning to Canada as a monk, not the OP interview)
iforgotmyname

Post by iforgotmyname »

Wow Ajahn Sona - what a great find! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpqLC4E5yqY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;