It was to be a wonderful long weekend .... NOT

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

It was to be a wonderful long weekend .... NOT

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

It was to be a wonderful long weekend with monday as a public holiday.

We were looking forward to it after the searing temperatures in the 40C-45C ranges. Imagine lying on beach, surfing, walking in the sub-tropical rain forest, camping, family gatherings ..........

Then - the rains came ..and came.. and came.. and came.. Floods, roads closed, high winds, tornadoes, road accidents, houses wrecked

http://au.news.yahoo.com/qld-floods/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dukkha, dukkha, dukkha

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Re: It was to be a wonderful long weekend .... NOT

Post by Ben »

I am sorry to hear that, Chris.
Hopefully, at least, some respite from the high temperatures.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I was shocked to see the news flashes as I came through Melbourne yesterday. Good weather here in Adelaide, I was worried I was going to get the 40+ weather of a week or two ago...

:anjali:
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

310080_531451163556001_313593957_n.jpg
310080_531451163556001_313593957_n.jpg (31.95 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

sattva

Post by sattva »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

It was to be a wonderful long weekend with monday as a public holiday.

We were looking forward to it after the searing temperatures in the 40C-45C ranges. Imagine lying on beach, surfing, walking in the sub-tropical rain forest, camping, family gatherings ..........

Then - the rains came ..and came.. and came.. and came.. Floods, roads closed, high winds, tornadoes, road accidents, houses wrecked

http://au.news.yahoo.com/qld-floods/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dukkha, dukkha, dukkha

with metta
Chris
There is almost nothing to say in response, except I am thinking of all of you and sending metta wishes.
Louise
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:
310080_531451163556001_313593957_n.jpg
When I saw that, I thought Naughty Nick was back, again.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

I saw the photo on my sister's time line and thought it was a classic.
I just learned on the news that Sydney is expecting 150mm of rain tomorrow.
Unbelievably archetypal australian phenomena of drought, bushfire and flood.
Take care of yourself Chris, and anyone else out there.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Ben wrote:Unbelievably archetypal australian phenomena of drought, bushfire and flood.
Yes, but amplified by global warming, as described and predicted by James Hansen in the last couple of years:
Climate Variability and Climate Change: The New Climate Dice
10 November 2011
J. Hansen, M. Sato, R. Ruedy
Abstract. The "climate dice" describing the chance of an unusually warm or cool season, relative to the climatology of 1951-1980, have progressively become more "loaded" during the past 30 years, coincident with increased global warming. The most dramatic and important change of the climate dice is the appearance of a new category of extreme climate outliers. These extremes were practically absent in the period of climatology, covering much less than 1% of Earth's surface. Now summertime extremely hot outliers, more than three standard deviations (σ) warmer than climatology, typically cover about 10% of the land area. Thus there is no need to equivocate about the summer heat waves in Texas in 2011 and Moscow in 2010, which exceeded 3σ – it is nearly certain that they would not have occurred in the absence of global warming. If global warming is not slowed from its current pace, by mid-century 3σ events will be the new norm and 5σ events will be common.
The greatest barrier to public recognition of human-made climate change is the natural variability of climate. How can a person discern long-term climate change, given the notorious variability of local weather and climate from day to day and year to year?
This question assumes great practical importance, because of the need for the public to appreciate the significance of human-made global warming. Actions to stem emissions of the gases that cause global warming, mainly CO2, are unlikely to approach what is needed until the public perceives that human-made climate change is underway and will have disastrous consequences if effective actions are not taken to short-circuit the climate change

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/ ... teDice.pdf

Look at how many records have been broken, just in Australia, in the last couple of weeks.
Tilt's cartoon is relevant. I look forward to the time when denialists hold their meetings in phone booths.

Chris, take care ... :group:

:namaste:
Kim