YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Is the mind permanent? - Dhamma Wheel

Is the mind permanent?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
nrose619

Is the mind permanent?

Postby nrose619 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:49 pm

I was watching a video of a monk explaining shutting off the five senses during deep meditation and just experiencing the mind. He said the mind is separate from the body and is something that continues (4:00-5:00 in video). Is the mind permanent? because if it is rebirth would be easier to understand but also why is the mind the exception?

here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRutmoPEWaQ

-Nick
"A silver bird
flies over the autumn lake.
When it has passed,
the lake's surface does not try
to hold on to the image of the bird."

nibbuti

Re: Is the mind permanent?

Postby nibbuti » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Nick.

The mind is not permanent.

Regards

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:43 pm

No, it's constantly changing.

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:09 pm

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

Bakmoon

Postby Bakmoon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:31 pm

The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 pm

I can't find it but there is a sutta where the Buddha says that he can't think of a simile to describe how fast the mind changes, or can't think of anything that changes more quickly. Something like that. Anyone else know the one I mean?
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

Goob

Postby Goob » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 pm

So, is the continuum (not consciousness per se) of what is experienced as consciousness permanent? If not, why?

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 pm

"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

nrose619

Postby nrose619 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 pm

I thought so! the video just confused me as all because he said the mind is separate from the body but I now realize he was simply explaining the continuation of mind and not that it is permanent.
"A silver bird
flies over the autumn lake.
When it has passed,
the lake's surface does not try
to hold on to the image of the bird."

Digity

Postby Digity » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:53 pm

reflection

Postby reflection » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 am

Here she is.

"But what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another. "

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:44 am

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

dhammapal

Postby dhammapal » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 am

alan...

Postby alan... » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:41 pm

as far as i can tell the mind is a lot like a fire burning along a path. imagine a bunch of dry leaves and fire spreading from one to the next. under the leaves is cold earth so the fire only burns the leaves. as each section of leaves burns out and the fire spreads to the next leaves it is the same stream of fire but it's not technically the same fire. same with consciousness, it keeps moving along, always finding new fuel, it has the illusion of constancy the same as the fire but if you look closely you notice that each moment of consciousness is totally dependent on it's fuel and is different than the moment that preceded it.

PadmaPhala

Postby PadmaPhala » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:13 am

maybe the concept of eight consciousness* will be helpful for this.

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”