Walking meditation as foundation of formal practice?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Sekha

Re: Walking meditation as foundation of formal practice?

Post by Sekha »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:By practising walking meditation alone one could gain the final goal.
With all due respect, Bhante, I see no support from the suttas for this claim, and I see a great danger in holding this view in case it is a wrong view. With all due respect, looking closely at the suttas, it seems to me that this is a wrong view.

Samma-samadhi includes the attainment of the fourth jhana, which is impossible to reach by walking. Without developing samma-samadhi as instructed by the Buddha, how could Nibbana be achieved?

Here is a more detailed version of this argument:
1.The Buddha declares that it is impossible to reach the end of suffering without fully understanding (and abandoning) the five aggregates:
SN 22.24
rūpaṃ, bhikkhave, an·abhijānaṃ a·parijānaṃ a·virājayaṃ a·ppajahaṃ abhabbo dukkha·kkhayāya; vedanaṃ an·abhijānaṃ a·parijānaṃ a·virājayaṃ a·ppajahaṃ abhabbo dukkha·kkhayāya; saññaṃ an·abhijānaṃ a·parijānaṃ a·virājayaṃ a·ppajahaṃ abhabbo dukkha·kkhayāya; saṅkhāre an·abhijānaṃ a·parijānaṃ a·virājayaṃ a·ppajahaṃ abhabbo dukkha·kkhayāya; viññāṇaṃ an·abhijānaṃ a·parijānaṃ a·virājayaṃ a·ppajahaṃ abhabbo dukkha·kkhayāya.

Without directly knowing and fully understanding Form, bhikkhus, without getting dispassionate towards it and abandoning it, one is unable to destroy suffering; without directly knowing and fully understanding Feeling, bhikkhus, without getting dispassionate towards it and abandoning it, one is unable to destroy suffering; without directly knowing and fully understanding Perception, bhikkhus, without getting dispassionate towards it and abandoning it, one is unable to destroy suffering; without directly knowing and fully understanding Constructions, bhikkhus, without getting dispassionate towards them and abandoning them, one is unable to destroy suffering; without directly knowing and fully understanding Consciousness, bhikkhus, without getting dispassionate towards it and abandoning it, one is unable to destroy suffering.
http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/samy ... 2-024.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. The Buddha also states that samadhi is to be developed in order to discern the arising and passing away of the aggregates, which evidently is a component of their "full understanding" (pariññā) as mentioned above:
SN 22.5
samādhiṃ, bhikkhave, bhāvetha; samāhito, bhikkhave, bhikkhu yathābhūtaṃ pajānāti. kiñ·ca yathābhūtaṃ pajānāti? rūpassa samudayañ·ca atthaṅgamañ·ca, vedanāya samudayañ·ca atthaṅgamañ·ca, saññāya samudayañ·ca atthaṅgamañ·ca, saṅkhārānaṃ samudayañ·ca atthaṅgamañ·ca, viññāṇassa samudayañ·ca atthaṅgamañ·ca.

Develop concentration, monks. A concentrated monk discerns in line with what has come into being. And what does he discern in line with what has come into being? The origination & disappearance of Form. The origination & disappearance of Feeling. The origination & disappearance of Perception. The origination & disappearance of Fabrications. The origination & disappearance of Consciousness.
http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/samy ... 2-005.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Evidently, when the Buddha recommends samadhi, he recommends what he considers as the right samadhi (ie. samma-samadhi, ie. the four jhanas).

So I think this is a strong argument against this view, that I have already seen in some dhamma books and that some bhikkhus who don't seem to wish to apply themselves to samma-samadhi want to hold as right. I do think they should abandon it as soon as possible and for their own safety NOT BROADCAST IT.
:|
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;