jhana pre buddhist, hinduism today and so on.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Assaji

Re: jhana pre buddhist, hinduism today and so on.

Post by Assaji »

Thank you, Alan, I appreciate your reference.

Speaking about qualifications - I'm a qualified definitionalist :smile:
alan...

Post by alan... »

Dmytro wrote:Thank you, Alan, I appreciate your reference.

Speaking about qualifications - I'm a qualified definitionalist :smile:
yeah hey mostly i was just playing around man. hope you know that. i was just responding to you quoting me the def. of "largely" earlier. have a good one.
rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

Dmytro wrote:Any tradition is a system of transferring knowledge, - a process of education which involves terminology. Samadhi states exist independently of traditions. With the partial lost of terminology, the art of education is partly lost. And then talented enthusiasts attain samadhi, but can't teach it to public at large.
Exactly.
tiltbillings wrote:
Dmytro wrote:Only some enthusiasts attain samadhi, it is not a widely known art, as in ancient India.
I rather doubt that samadhi was any more widely known in "ancient India" than it is now.
well, that is laughable.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rahul3bds wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Dmytro wrote:Only some enthusiasts attain samadhi, it is not a widely known art, as in ancient India.
I rather doubt that samadhi was any more widely known in "ancient India" than it is now.
well, that is laughable.
Is it?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

yes it is.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rahul3bds wrote:yes it is.
Thank you for sharing your opinion; however, I wonder if there is anything to support it?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

im from india, i know about its traditions.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rahul3bds wrote:im from india, i know about its traditions.
That's nice, but being from India does not automatically make you an expert on how many people are practicing samadhi at any one time, unless you have done a careful survey of the practitioners of the various tradition which you claim to know. And how many people in the Buddha's time did samadhi practice?

rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

heard of shamana tradition? Entirely based on samadhi.
rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

oops i mis spell its shramana
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rahul3bds wrote:heard of shamana tradition? Entirely based on samadhi.
And?

rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

so it was ascetic class who left the society to attain salvation and samadhi was their prime tool, is that so hard to understand?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rahul3bds wrote:so it was ascetic class who left the society to attain salvation and samadhi was their prime tool, is that so hard to understand?
And all the shramanas practiced samadhi? And none of the present day sannyasins, sādhus, yogis, and various Hindu monstic groups don't?

rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

sannyasins, sādhus, yogis, and
various Hindu monstic groups don't?

oh if you call chanting om, hari, jay, everytime they sit for meditation, samadhi, then they sure are practicing samadhi
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rahul3bds wrote:sannyasins, sādhus, yogis, and
various Hindu monstic groups don't?

oh if you call chanting om, hari, jay, everytime they sit for meditating, samadhi, then they sure are practicing samadhi
That really does not answer the question. So, you are saying none of these people practice samadhi and all of the shramanas before and during the Buddha's time did?