if you could ask the Buddha one question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BlackBird

Re: if you could ask the Buddha one question

Post by BlackBird »

Peter wrote: The truth is a person so attached to their views would, when confronted by the Buddha himself, sooner question whether that was really the Buddha than change their views.

"You didn't give me the answer I wanted. How do I know you are really the Buddha?"
This such a good point! Personally I have to be sure my mindfulness is very strong before I can see just how much I am really listening, and just how much I am simply waiting to hear someone else reinforce my own views, to give those views validity, and if they don't - well I'm simply waiting (impatiently) for a chance to verbalise my views, and show the other person that they're wrong and I'm right.

This seems to be at the heart of a good portion of the dialogue in the world. It accounts for almost all of the conversations I've ever had, anyway. In fact I was about to disagree with you, on the whole 'meeting the Buddha' note, but then whoop - there we go again.

Hope you have a great day!
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

well, if you met the buddha you'd meet the buddha not some guy who may or may not be the buddha, so i think it's kinda implied you know he's the buddha :tongue:

also he seems to be pretty good at explaining a point so i guess he could wrangle some understanding into most of us if we were to be sincere in listening
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

jcsuperstar wrote:...if we were to be sincere in listening
Aye, there's the rub.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Is it Dhamma or Dharma? (just kidding :tongue: )

I would probably ask something like what retro said. Are the commentaries and the Abhidhamma accurate, important, necessary or where else might have the Theravada made any errors (if any)?
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

Is jhana needed for liberation? :tongue:

-or- What's a nimitta? :thinking:

-or- In my previous life or lives during your time, what was I spending my time doing? :cookoo:

One good thing is that he seems to have been willing to tell someone who asks a poor choice of question not to ask it, but to listen as he explained something else that made things clear.

Fig Tree
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

I would ask what he thought of Buddhism/
-----------------------
Bankei
Kare

Post by Kare »

"How can I help you, my friend?"
Mettāya,
Kåre
Ben

Post by Ben »

Kare wrote:"How can I help you, my friend?"
An excellent response!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Kare wrote:"How can I help you, my friend?"
I think that's the best question possible.

I was going to say, "May I sit with you, Bhante?" But Kare's question snaps into focus just how selfish my question would be.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Really? Do you really see it as selfish to ask the greatest teacher to ever walk the earth to teach you something?

Funny but I was struck quite the opposite, To ask the Buddha how you can help him, he who has gone beyond all need of help, strikes me as empty and hollow.

"How can I help you?"
"You can not help me."

Oh well, there goes your one question. :shrug:
- Peter

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Peter wrote: Oh well, there goes your one question. :shrug:
:jumping: Oh, thank goodness, I'm not the only one who feels that way. When I read that answer, somehow I thought it was wasting a golden opportunity, but then saw the praises left by others so kept quiet. :embarassed: Now I see Peter answered pretty much the same way I wanted to. It reminds me of when Homer (The Simpsons) went all the way to the Himalayas with Apu to see the master and he could only ask 3 questions. Here they are:

Apu: He is the benevolent and enlightened president and C.E.O. of
Kwik-E-Mart -- and in Ohio, Stop-O-Mart. He is the one we must
ask for my job back.
Master: Approach, my sons. [they do] You may ask me three questions.
Apu: That's great, because all I need is one --
Homer: Are you _really_ the head of the Kwik-E-Mart?
Master: Yes.
Homer: Really?
Master: Yes.
Homer: You?
Master: Yes. I hope this has been enlightening for you.
Apu: But I must --
Master: Thank you, come again.
Apu: But --
Master: Thank you, come again.
-- The master speaks, "Homer and Apu"

The two of them leave, disappointed.

Homer: Well, _that_ was a big bust. Is he _really_ the head of the
Kwik-E-Mart?
Apu: [growls, reaches towards Homer]
Homer: No need to apologize, Apu: it was as much my fault as it was
yours.
Apu: [grabs Homer by the throat and squeezes]
Homer: OK, Apu: I accept your apology!

:rofl:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings TheDhamma,

Classic reference!

I agree that I too need more help than the Buddha would. :tongue:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

the buddha got people to wake up by simply teaching them to sweep the floor so i guess the right question wouldnt be the philosphical ones we think we should ask but rather the simple one we probably dont want to ask

"a little help please?"
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Peter,
Peter wrote:Really? Do you really see it as selfish to ask the greatest teacher to ever walk the earth to teach you something?
Your question is worded awkwardly, so that it presupposes an answer. But to try to answer what I assume you meant to ask, Yes, I really meant what I wrote in my post. When I saw Kare's question, I felt as if my own question was selfish in comparison.
Peter wrote:Funny but I was struck quite the opposite, To ask the Buddha how you can help him, he who has gone beyond all need of help, strikes me as empty and hollow.
I have no idea why you might consider it "empty and hollow" to offer support to the Buddha. I guess I'm taking Ghatikara as a kind of role model here. The Buddha had supporters and patrons, and it was great merit to be one of them. Why do you think that type of generosity is "empty and hollow"?
"How can I help you?"
"You can not help me."
So that's what you imagine the Buddha's answer would be?

You don't think the Buddha would have any better response to an offering made to him other than to reject it brusquely?
Oh well, there goes your one question.
I would have more faith than that in the Buddha's ability to turn my question -- whatever it is -- into a teaching moment.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Jechbi wrote:I have no idea why you might consider it "empty and hollow" to offer support to the Buddha. I guess I'm taking Ghatikara as a kind of role model here. The Buddha had supporters and patrons, and it was great merit to be one of them. Why do you think that type of generosity is "empty and hollow"?
The Buddha's supporters offered him things - food, clothing, shelter, medicine - they did not ask him what he needed. It is a worthwhile distinction I think.
You don't think the Buddha would have any better response to an offering made to him other than to reject it brusquely?
It depends. If he thought you were receptive to being taught then he would attempt to teach you. If he didn't think you receptive then he wouldn't try to teach you. If one knows one only gets one question and then makes it something unrelated to the Path, what does that say about such a one's receptiveness? To me it says "Here I have the rarest of opportunities, but I do not have the humility to accept it. I have no need of the Buddha's help, but in my ego I presume he needs my help." This to me does not seem the mind of one receptive to being taught.
I would have more faith than that in the Buddha's ability to turn my question -- whatever it is -- into a teaching moment.
We might say that it doesn't matter what we ask; the Buddha will look into our minds and respond to us in the best way possible. There are such cases in the scriptures. Still, I think what we ask says something about our minds.

I suppose it comes back to the inherent problem with hypothetical questions. They are ultimately unrealistic. How would you know it is the Buddha? How would you know you only have one question? It doesn't make sense. In preparing to ask my one big question I could innocently ask "Can I offer you some tea?" and whoops! there goes my one question.

I suppose for the purposes of this thread I take as my model Bahiya of the bark-cloth. He heard there was a Buddha, he dropped everything to find him, on finding him he immediately went up to him and asked to be taught the Dhamma. Even after the Buddha put him off saying "This is not the time, Bahiya. We have entered the town for alms," Bahiya replied "But it is hard to know for sure what dangers there may be for the Blessed One's life, or what dangers there may be for mine." The Buddha taught Bahiya right there and not long after Bahiya was killed by a cow. But in that short time he had attained Nibbana. It seems to me he truly understood how fleeting this life is and how rare it is to meet a Buddha.
- Peter