How cool is sushi!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Mawkish1983

How cool is sushi!

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I just tried sushi for the first time this morning, for breakfast.

Smells a bit off but it tastes great!
retrofuturist

Re: How cool is sushi!

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Never had it for breakfast, but I'm definitely a fan of sushi (and wasabi)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Wasabi hey? :D that's one for future trials (maybe not for breakfast though).

I wonder, what are the normal eating habit of laypeople in eastern countries? I've often wondered what people eat for breakfast and lunch. In the UK we get a very convoluted version of 'exotic' foods, usually consisting of some poor-quality meat served in a stogy sauce with rice or noodles.... not exactly authentic. As such, I've often wondered, "Do Indians eat cornflakes for breakfast?" or "Do the Japanese like porridge?".

I'm not a great traveler so I sincerely apologise for my ignorance in these matters, but what DO eastern people eat for breakfast?
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Mawkish1983 wrote:...what DO eastern people eat for breakfast?
In Thailand the same dishes (generally speaking) are consumed at any and all meals...there's no breakfast, lunch, and dinner...it's 'geen kao'...'eat rice'...
Individual

Post by Individual »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I just tried sushi for the first time this morning, for breakfast.

Smells a bit off but it tastes great!
You should clarify what you mean by sushi. The English term and the Japanese term have two different meanings. In Japanese, sushi includes any dish made with vinegared rice and other ingredients. But what is generally called sushi in "English" is actually a certain specific kind of sushi. So far, in western restaurants, you usually just see makizushi, although I've had Nigiri-zushi too, buying sushi platters before from the grocery store and Sam's Club.

For the different kinds see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like all different kinds of maki rolls. My favorite is the Chef Yamamoto roll: cream cheese, tuna, crabmeat, avocado.

Strangely, although I have never found a maki roll I dislike, on the other hand, I also have yet to find a kind of Nigiri-zushi that I actually like. The big piece of raw fish on top always tastes rubbery. It tastes better if it's a small piece, hidden with a maki roll.

Lots of wasabi is great too. Sushi tastes best when smothered in wasabi, then dipped in soy sauce.

By the way, any Buddhists who are concerned about the environment might want to avoid sushi with tuna in it, since the popularity of sushi is threatening the existence of bluefin tuna around the world.

Also, supposedly it's not too difficult to make sushi yourself. A while ago, my mom bought me some book + kit, because she knew how much I liked it. I never used it, but it seemed easy enough.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

appicchato wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote:...what DO eastern people eat for breakfast?
In Thailand the same dishes (generally speaking) are consumed at any and all meals...there's no breakfast, lunch, and dinner...it's 'geen kao'...'eat rice'...
OK :stirthepot: getting it ready now
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Mawkish1983 wrote: "Do Indians eat cornflakes for breakfast?" or "Do the Japanese like porridge?".
When I was in India, we were offered American food for breakfast at the hotels instead of traditional Indian food. But we were like no way, "when in Rome . . " and ate the traditional Indian food. Like Bhante noted above about Thailand, in India the food is the same with no differentiation between breakfast and lunch. So we ate curry, naan bread, and vegetables.

mmmm, but then again, we often eat Indian even back here when we are in the U.S.
Individual

Post by Individual »

At IHOP, Bob Evan's, and Burger King, you can get breakfast, lunch, and dinner any time. Although there are traditional meal differences, I think practically many Americans just eat whatever happens to be in the fridge... Eating beef stew for breakfast... and cooking bacon at midnight...
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Sushi is indeed cool. Yum! :tongue:

Wow, I never knew that other cultures eat the same foods all day. I am so used to a different menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. How interesting!
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Greetings,

This isn't directed to anyone in particular, just a topic for thought...I think (most) everyone knows that we're just about out of this life form, due to our own inability to allow it to sustain itself...and yet here we are talking about how much we dig eating it...while also knowing your children (maybe grandkids) will not be able to ever even taste it...who's really walking the walk?...
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

appicchato wrote:we're just about out of this life form
Sad but true. Thank heavens for vegetarian sushi! Tastes great and doesn't cause any direct damage to fish stocks.

Edit: also note I've only tried Western Sushi. I believe Western Sushi uses fairly ordinary and readily available fish, and in the UK in particular there are strict rules to safeguard against over-fishing. Still, it's always good to consider the ethics of where your food comes from :)
Last edited by Mawkish1983 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demarous

Post by Demarous »

The first and last time i had sushi....i was very sick :jawdrop: .....Never again!!!!!

Now pot noodle...THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!! :woohoo:

(I am of course joking...but not really!)

Metta,
Demarous.
"Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart. Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart."
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

appicchato wrote:I think (most) everyone knows that we're just about out of this life form
I did not know that. I know certain species are at risk. But all fish? Are you sure?
who's really walking the walk?
Which walk are you referring to?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.