Is whistling a form of singing ?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

nacca-gita-vadita-visuka-dassana mala-gandha-vilepana-dharana-mandana-vibhusanatthana veramani sikkha- padam samadiyami.
I request the training rule to refrain from dancing, singing, music and going to see entertainments, which are stumbling blocks to wholesomeness; and to refrain from wearing garlands, using perfumes and beautifying the body with cosmetics.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Is whistling a form of singing ?

Post by Sam Vara »

No, but it is music.

Depending on your level of skill, of course...
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Unless it's whistling to command a sheep dog. Then it's talking. Ha!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What about wolf-whistling? Does that transgress the third precept for those observing the eight precepts?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
theY

Post by theY »

Whistle as song ?

Normal speaking can be a song, in some case. Yes, whistle, too.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:What about wolf-whistling? Does that transgress the third precept for those observing the eight precepts?
What is wolf-whistling? I assume you aren't talking about howling.

Edit: Never mind. I looked it up. Never knew that had a specific term to describe it. You learn something new everyday.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Alobha wrote:Is whistling a form of singing ?
If in doubt ask yourself do you really need to do it.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Digity

Post by Digity »

Think of the heart of the precept. Music is often a distraction and a desire to indulge the mind in pleasure. I think whistling is the same...it's done to entertain the mind and can be distracting.