Equality for Buddhist Women?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
sarahypp

Equality for Buddhist Women?

Post by sarahypp »

I came across this article speaking about Karma Lekshe Tsomo, a Buddhist nun in the Western world that opened up much opportunities for Buddhist nuns of which was previously unavailable, most notably education.

It has never occurred to me that Women in the Buddhist tradition is possibly being 'discriminated'. According the Lekshe Tsomo, nuns have one of the worst educations, worst healthcare etc. And when we think about it, it is sort of true... after all, name me one nun from the Tibetan tradition that is an erudite scholar... lets not talk about the Khadros, Yoginis and Dakini incarnations, but truly well learned Nuns. Besides some of the great western nuns that recently emerge and gained much recognition for their wisdom, I can't think of anyone else.

I have read before about great nuns attaining much realizations during retreats in nunneries (http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-ri ... gonpa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It is so beautiful to see these nuns going into intense retreats.

But I do wonder, why there are no nunneries that serve like Gyumed Tantric Monastery that teaches the Dharma intensely? I don't wish to see it as being discriminating, but I'm sure there is a reason somewhere that describes this situation which I'm not aware of. Anyone can enlighten me on this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michaela- ... f=buddhism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
plwk

Re: Equality for Buddhist Women?

Post by plwk »

Maybe, you may get better responses at the sister site, dedicated to all things and issues on Mahayana & Vajrayana?
sarahypp

Re: Equality for Buddhist Women?

Post by sarahypp »

Thank you! I didn't know there was another site specially for Vajrayana =)