Meditation in the bus

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Jay1

Meditation in the bus

Post by Jay1 »

Hi, I've got some more questions for yal :woohoo:

I take bus every morning, instead of daydreaming, would it be wise to meditate? But how? I tried breath meditation but it's hard because of the way the seats are slanted. Also I can't close my eyes, so there's that. I also tried to simply be aware. But alas, I got confused of what I should be aware of. Is it my feat on the ground? Is the my back on the seat? Oh, and did I mention that I can't close my eyes?

I know that it's important to be mindful throughout the day and it seemed simple and easy but having tried it, mindfulness is confusing, to me.

Many thanks :D
:namaste:
Goofaholix

Re: Meditation in the bus

Post by Goofaholix »

Sitting, seeing, hearing, body sensations, thoughts, feelings etc... it's all going on just stay with what's really happening, no need to add anything else to it unless you're having trouble keeping up with it all.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

I usually do metta for my fellow passengers on the bus. Its a good use of the time, and prevents me from thinking unkind thots about them.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Digity

Post by Digity »

Jay1 wrote: I take bus every morning, instead of daydreaming, would it be wise to meditate? But how? I tried breath meditation but it's hard because of the way the seats are slanted. Also I can't close my eyes, so there's that. I also tried to simply be aware. But alas, I got confused of what I should be aware of. Is it my feat on the ground? Is the my back on the seat? Oh, and did I mention that I can't close my eyes:
The object of meditation is completely up to you, but just pick one and stick with it. It could just be the sensation of the body sitting.
Last edited by Digity on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Digity

Post by Digity »

m0rl0ck wrote:I usually do metta for my fellow passengers on the bus. Its a good use of the time, and prevents me from thinking unkind thots about them.
Ha! Maybe I should do that too. My biggest pet peeve is people talking on their cellphone on the bus! It's annoying hearing them talk!
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

Sometimes in noisy areas I like to take as the object all of the sensations through my sense of hearing, so I try to listen for even the smallest sounds and subtlest vibrations. I'd be interested to hear if this helps reduce the irritation of people talking on their phones; you might find that instead of hearing the talking you start hearing the sounds that make up the words, for instance. Loud conversations are a pet peeve of mine as well.

The other thing you could do is bring headphones and use some noise canceling sound or whatever you'd like to listen to if initially the noise is too distracting and you prefer to take as an object your breath, for instance. I think in situations in which mindfulness is challenging it can be helpful to first adopt a narrow point of focus.

:anjali:
philo